Chapter Twenty-Two

the following chapter ——— THE BOAT WAS STILL IN THE BOTTLE in the morning when Nephthys woke up from her sleep. She didn't feel rested at all as she stared at her ceiling. There was a knock on her door. She didn't respond and the door opened.

"Breakfast is ready," said Draco as he leaned on her door frame. She didn't respond again, "Were you caught last night?"

"Am I in trouble?"

"Unfortunately not."

Nephthys sat up, "Which is fortunate for you because I would've taken you down with me."

"You'd have no proof," said Draco.

"Except that I know you have a key hidden somewhere in your closet, wouldn't take much to find it with a simple spell."

Draco scowled, "Hurry up and come eat." He turned on his heels and walked away. Nephthys stood up and shut her door. She got ready before she went down to the dining room. It was quiet with the exception of the utensils gently scraping the glass plates every once in a while. She sat in her spot and began to eat silently, not daring to glance over to Mr. and Mrs. Malfoy.

"I was wondering if I could go to Chelsea's house," said Nephthys when she noticed Me. Malfoy was nearly finished with his plate.

Mrs. Malfoy looked over at Mr. Malfoy before she said, "I wish you wouldn't get so close to that girl, but it's alright. You can go."

"Thank you," said Nepjthys.

She wasn't going to Chelsea's house, she wasn't even sure if Chelsea went home for the holidays. She was going to pay the Hepburn's a visit, but she couldn't tell them that. She felt Draco staring at her but she ignored him.

Mr. Malfoy looked a little suspicious when she refused to use floo powder and insisted on walking. Perhaps, she should've thought of a better excuse considering Chelsea didn't even live in England and there was no possible way Nephthys would've been able to walk there. She did correct herself and say she was going to use the Knight Bus, but that didn't seem to ease his suspicions, however he didn't say anything.

Once she arrived to the Hepburn residence, she was surprised to find Aurélie sitting outside. Her entire face was red from the cold and she was huddled up on the chair she was seated on. She looked up at the sound of the gate opening. Nephthys saw the way her eyes lit up as she straightened up.

"Nephthys. . ." She breathed out, "Hi."

"Hello," said Nephthys politely, "It's a little cold to be outside, isn't it?"

"I — I was waiting for you," said Aurélie, her cheeks a darker hue of pink, "Rosie said you'd be coming over." Nephthys didn't respond. "I keep thinking about how we left off and . . .I'm so sorry for my inappropriate reaction. I had no reason to lash out at you like that —"

"It's fine," said Nephthys, "I completely forgot about it."

Aurélie's face fell a little as they stared at each other. Aurélie sighed as she said, "I —" Her eyes flickered down and she interrupted herself. Her eyebrows furrowed together, "Nephthys. . .where's your necklace?"

"What?" said Nephthys before the question sunk in, "Oh — it's at home."

"At home? You shouldn't —" Aurélie stopped speaking. She appeared to be conflicted. Nephthys raised her eyebrow and Aurélie bit her lip. She looked as if she were going to burst into tears at any moment.

The front door opened and Rosie peeked out, "Neph! You're here!"

Nephthys smiled, "Hi, Rosie. You're sporting a lot of red today."