Part 13

This was quite possibly the tensest business meeting I have ever had to sit through. Mr Baxter was the only one around the table who seemed completely unaware of the tension between the other two gentlemen. He was a very jovial sort of man, completely oblivious to the fact that had he not been there, the conflict would most definitely have been inevitable.

Conflict about what I just didn't know yet.

Whenever something was said by Mr Baxter, Mr Knight gave him his full attention, answering all his burning questions about how the product launch was going to be handled and when, where and even if a launch party was something that would be happening.

As soon as Mr Reynolds tried to contribute an opinion or even ask a question, he was met with complete silence from Mr Knight. He even went as far as avoiding to look in his direction altogether.

In my attempt to keep the atmosphere as cordial as possible, I would jump in whenever Mr Knight refused to speak. Although, every time I answered one of George's questions, Mr Knight would stare at me coldly. My eyes also didn't fail to see his hands clenching and unclenching around his silverware. I had no problem with George, to the contrary the one encounter I had had with him was very pleasant. 

I tried to ignore the ice radiating from Mr Knight, which was now aimed at me rather than George.

"Well then Mr Knight," Mr Baxter spoke up.

"Please, call me William." Mr Knight insisted and for a glorious moment, his icy eyes left me.

I almost lost my composure at his words. I have never heard Mr Knight be that informal towards anyone like that before. He must like Mr Baxter a lot.

"Very well then, William. I am pleased with the progress of the product launch and I am more than happy to leave it in your capable hands. I am satisfied with the work that you and your company has put into everything and I am happy to continue to focus on my area of expertise and leave you to yours." 

Mr Baxter came across as the type of person who locks himself up in a room and focuses on the creation of his new products and does not immerge until it has reached perfection. Of course, his business (which falls under the umbrella of Knight Inc.) is more impressive than that of a mere single person operation. But, you can tell that if he could avoid the pageantries and promotional side of the business altogether, he would. 

That's what made his melding with Knight Inc. ideal. He could focus on the product aspect, whilst Knight Inc. could take things further by helping his vision come to life through production, getting the product on the market and creating enough interest in the marketplace for people to want to buy it.

"I am happy to hear that. All the work is done, all that's left now is the launch party where we will be introducing the product. Miss Bennet will inform you of all the details thereof closer to the time." Mr Knight said with a stiff nod in my direction.

I smiled at Mr Baxter in response.

"That's all fine by me." Mr Baxter smiled, rising from his chair. "Once again, thank you for the hard work you put into all of this and of course for the breakfast."

We rose as well and greeted Mr Baxter and George, who had become basically mute nearing the end of the meeting.

Mr Knight just nodded in his direction and we watched them leave the restaurant. 

I collected my laptop bag and followed Mr Knight who was walking at a brisk pace. Patrick was already waiting outside in the car. I learned pretty quickly that Mr Knight did not like waiting and therefore made sure to call for the company car in advance. I have become pretty good at anticipating when he was about to close a meeting and want to depart.

Mr Knight reached the car before Patrick was able to climb out of the front and held the door open for me to climb in. I gave him a hesitant look before climbing in. 

This chivalrous side of him freaked me out, especially since his clenching jaw indicated that he was less than pleased at the moment. I did not know what to make of it. I would much rather prefer it if he was rude and cold the whole time, at least then I would know what to expect. I have become accustomed to that behaviour. This tense chivalry was uncharted territory.

I could hear Patrick apologizing profusely for not being at my door quick enough, which Mr Knight just brushed off. As soon as he entered the car, he immediately started typing on his phone again.

Now, normally I would just let him get on with his business and not start any form of conversation. Today, however, there were just too many things running through my mind.

What was up with that meeting? How did he know George? What happened between them?

But none of these questions seemed appropriate to be asking your employer, it was way too personal and honestly none of my business. And yet, I just couldn't seem to stop wondering.

Maybe I could try broaching the subject casually... not ask him everything right off the bat.

Right, because you're so good at subtlety!

"Mr Knight?" I tested the water. 

I was graced with only a grunt of acknowledgement, which was probably better than nothing.

"I take it that you know Mr Reynolds?"

With that, his eyes rose from his phone and met mine. His face was blank, unreadable. I couldn't tell whether he found my question intrusive, whether he was irritated or angry even.

"Yes." He said simply.

His response was not satisfying and I decided to push the subject a little further.

"Have you worked together before sir?" I tried again.

With that, his jaw clenched once more. Now I've done it, he was displeased with that question.

"Why all of this interest in Mr Reynolds?" He asked coolly.

"No reason," I answered quickly, "I just wanted to know..."

"It would be best, Miss Bennet, if you'd refrain from sticking your nose where it does not belong. And while we're on the subject, next time we're in a business meeting, and I know this is hard for you to grasp, but I expect you to keep things professional. I do not want to address this matter of you socialising while on the job again." And just like that, he turned his attention away from me again and started typing away on that incessant phone of his.

I bit back the words already forming on my lips and turned away so that I was looking out of the window and my back was facing him.

His words were condescending and completely unwarranted. I wanted to do nothing more than tell him exactly what I thought of the whole situation. But I had enough of my witts with me to know that this was not the best course of action. 

Both of us kept quiet and allowed the tension to simmer all the way back to the office.