Part 20

If anyone had told me that I would spend the day with Mr Knight going from the one expensive store to the next in search of a dress, shoes and accessories, I would have thought they were lying.

And yet, here I was, slipping on a gown worth more than three months' pay with Mr Knight waiting for me to come out of the dressing room. Yes, you heard that right, when Mr Knight said "we" were going shopping, he literally meant that he was going to go into the stores with me and help me choose a dress.

What this has meant so far, is that I was not able to pick what I wanted to try on off the rack, but rather he gave my size (I don't even want to know how he knew this) to the sales ladies along with colours and they would scurry off only to return with arms full of dresses for me to try on.

I looked at myself in the mirror and I couldn't help but smile. The dress was gorgeous. Although, I have to admit, maybe a tad out there for a work event. But maybe this is how the women dressed for these types of things. I certainly wouldn't know...

It was a beautiful emerald green, satin dress that fit my body like a glove. The neckline came down quite low with an open back.

"Elizabeth, we have more stores to get to, so if you please." Came Mr Knight's impatient voice from the other side of the door.

I still wasn't used to him calling me by my first name, but since he used it this morning, he hasn't gone back to the previous "Miss Bennet".

I sighed before stepping out of the dressing room.

"Sir, I'm not so sure about this one..." I trailed off while giving a slight twirl so he could see the whole dress.

When I looked up, Mr Knight's eyes were roaming over every inch of my form. I could feel the heat rushing towards my face and a funny tingling feeling settling in my stomach.

Why did he have to look at me like that? It was almost like he wanted to...

No, this was Mr Knight, he wouldn't be looking at me like that... and I was most definitely not excited at the mere thought of it.

No, in fact, I was uncomfortable, so uncomfortable that I wished I had something to cover myself up with. But, it seemed that I forgot how to operate my legs and was now glued to the spot.

Mr Knight cleared his throat, looking away from me and avoiding eye contact altogether.

"Uhm, yes... I think you might be right. Let's try another one."  He pulled out his phone and started scrolling through it.

That was strange. Was Mr Knight actually uncomfortable?

...

We found a more suitable dress two fittings later and went on to buy strappy black heels, a clutch and some dangling earrings (which in my opinion was overkill, but Mr Knight wouldn't hear of it).

He dropped me off at home again by the end of the day.

"Thank you for the dress and everything sir," I said as I stepped out of the car.

Patrick was already at the trunk, taking out all of the shopping bags.

"No thanks are necessary, it's purely for business purposes." His eyes were trained on mine.

"All right then... goodnight sir," I said as I started getting out of the car.

"Good night Elizabeth." He said with a nod.

I turned around to find Patrick already standing there with all of my bags.

"Oh, thank you, Patrick, I'll take it from here." I held my hands out for the bags.

"Are you sure miss? I can carry them in for you." He looked at me uncertainly.

"Yes, I'm certain, but thanks for the offer."

I took the bags over from him. They were a lot heavier than expected, but I wasn't going to let it show.

You are a strong independent woman Elizabeth...

I walked up to our front door with Mr Knight's all too familiar eyes on my back.

I don't do author notes all that often, but it seems necessary to avoid confusion. The dress at the top is the one she tries on first and not the one they decided on (that one I will show later).

Anyways... happy reading!