Part 1

I stuffed the last pile of books into the box before closing it up for good. There was something almost symbolic about the whole situation. Like taping off this final box was me taping up the last four years of my life. I expected to be sadder when this day finally arrived, maybe even to shed a tear or two. But, now that the day has actually come, I don't feel anything of the sort. I actually feel kind of relieved and ready for the next step.

"Earth to Lizzie?" Cat said waving her hands in front of my eyes.

"Oh, sorry, I must have spaced out. What were you saying?"

Cat proceeded with a highly unnecessary eye roll before continuing.

"I was asking whether that was all of it? Because I told you I need the car back by three to.."

"I know, you need the car to go to your boyfriend's house because that is somehow more important than helping your sister move out of her dorm room." I finished for her.

"I'm glad you understand!" Cat turned on her heel and marched out of the room to, I assume, continue waiting impatiently in the car.

Cat was one of my two younger sisters and had the attitude to fit the job. She decided to skip college entirely (not that she could get in with her grades even if she wanted to) and pursue her dream of becoming the next Naomi Campbell of hand modelling. Because, apparently, hand modelling was "like, the next big thing!" I would try and dissuade her, but in all honesty, I gave up on her back in eighth grade when she tried to convince me that the word women needed an s at the end in its plural form...

I grabbed the last box and exited my dorm room. I gave one last look at the place that I called home for all of my college years, before nudging the door close with my foot.

...

We have lived in the same house since I was born. Even now as we parked in the drive way, I saw no significant changes apart from a "fresh" coat of paint from three years ago. Our front yard had rose bushes lining the white picket fence and a large lemon tree in the middle of the yard. We used to play ring-a-rosy around that tree when we were younger and drink freshly squeezed lemonade under it when the sun became too harsh for us to handle.

"I'm just gonna drop you off here." 

"Aren't you going to come inside first?" I asked raising an eyebrow.

"Oh God no, could you imagine? Mom won't let me go without doing a full play-by-play. No thank you!" She answered, already putting the car in reverse.

"Well alright , I'll just grab my stuff then." I unbuckled my seatbelt and went to the back of the car and opened the trunk. I didn't have quite as much baggage as one would expect, but my whole life was in these three boxes and hiking backpack (which seemed like the best travelling choice). I should probably not mention that two of those boxes were packed to the brim with books.

"That's all of it," I said while balancing a particularly heavy box of books on my left hip. "Do you want me to tell mom you said hi?"

"Actually, I'd prefer you tell her a college friend dropped you off instead. But talk to you soon! DM me if you're on my side of town again!" She was already starting to back out of the driveway by this point.

"Okay, will do, bye!" I shouted after her.

I knew I wouldn't actually make contact with her if I ever did happen to be close to where she lived. It's just one of those things you say. Like when you see old friends from high school that you have nothing in common with anymore. You give your fake smiles and ask them how they're doing, make imaginary coffee dates that you have no intention of keeping and then top it all off with another lie about how "it was so great to see you", even though it made no significant impact on your day whatsoever. That's what Cat and I have.

I sighed before lugging my belongings into the house. Before I could even reach the front door, it burst open with my mother adorned in a shocking green top and way too tight white skinny jeans. I staggered backwards in an attempt to keep from falling.

"Oh Lizzie, it's you. I thought I heard Cat." my mother said whilst trying to cover up her disappointment.

Cat was by far her favourite daughter. And no this is not some middle child jealousy talking (not that that would make sense anyways as Cat is in the middle with me) or all in my head, our mother has dropped many subtle hints to prove the fact and many not so subtle hints when she's had a few red ones with dinner.

"No, just me mother," I answered with a forced smile.

She turned abruptly and said over her shoulder, "Well, what are you standing out there for? Come inside. And did we know you were coming back today?"

I followed behind her into the kitchen.

"I did phone last week to remind you guys and mentioned it again to dad last night when we spoke."

I hoisted the boxes on the kitchen counter and took a seat on one of the barstools while mother put the kettle on the stove.

"Well, there's your first mistake! I certainly don't remember you mentioning it to me and you know your father is terrible at communicating anything apart from passages from his latest autobiographical obsession. Oh and how it frustrates me to have guests come by unannounced."

Come on mom, tell me how you really feel.

My father enjoys spending most of his day in solitude reading, in his office, far away from my mother. Not that I can for the life of me understand why I mean my mother is an absolute delight. Please note sarcasm here.

"Is that my Lizzie?"

Dad stood by the kitchen door, his glasses perched on his nose.

"Hi, dad!" I rushed into his arms before being engulfed in a bear hug.

"Oh, Lizzie I'm so glad you're here. It'll be so nice to have a conversation that doesn't revolve around one of the Kardashians." He finished in a hushed tone.

I giggled as he released me from our hug.

My phone started buzzing in my pocket. The screen flashed an unknown number.

"Elizabeth hallo," I answered after the second ring.

"Good day miss Bennett, I'm phoning from Knight Inc. Do you have a moment to talk?"