Part 22

And finally... the dress 👆

Hopefully, Mr Knight will be able to focus now.

Happy reading!

Another curled tendril came tumbling down the side of my head. Julie took the next section and wrapped it around the curling iron.

I didn't have to go to work today and could therefore spend the morning relaxing before I had to get ready. I caught up on some reading, did my nails, saw my father for what felt like the first time in a week. He was usually stuck in the office or had already gone to bed by the time I got in after the gym. He brought me up to date on the political biography he was reading and then went straight back into his office to do who knows what. 

It's funny how the moment you stand still and you're not rushing to and from work, you realize how long it's been since you last saw those closest to you. My mother was always out shopping or at some or other social gathering that made absolutely no sense to me. Hailey was still working ridiculous shifts, so I only saw her in passing. 

"Alright, I'm all done now," Julie said smiling at me through the mirror.

She curled my hair to perfection, which took ridiculously long, might I add. She then secured half of my hair with bobby pins to create an elegant half up-do.

"It looks amazing, thank you, Julie." My eyes landed on the clock against our bedroom wall.

"Crap, I need to finish getting ready!" I jumped up and rushed over to the closet.

"Remind me again why you need to get there this early?"

I slipped into the dress, wiggling until it sat just right before zipping it up at the back.

"Since Knight Inc. is hosting the party, Mr Knight has to be one of the first people there. Therefore, I need to be one of the first people there." I put on the intricate earrings, grabbing the clutch and heels as I headed to the front door. 

Ian was only picking Julie up at 19:30, so she still had at least two more hours to get ready.

"Alright, well I'll see you there in a little bit." She said, trailing behind me. Julie was just about as excited as I was, if not more. I suspect her reasons for excitement had a whole lot more to do with her escort than with the actual event. My excitement was due to the opposite reason.

"Yes, I'll be the one raiding the appetizer table." 

A gasp sounded behind me just as I reached the front door.

"Lizzie, is that you?"

Crap, crap, crap... I didn't hear her come back in.

"Yes, mother, but I'm actually in a hurry," I said over my shoulder, opening the front door.

"But wait! Where are you going? Are you going on a date? You can't leave me hanging like this!" Her voice screeched after me.

"No, I'm not going on a date. I really have to get going though, but you can ask Julie about it, she's also going." 

With that our mother swung around to Julie whose eyes were as big as saucers. She looked back at me with that same shocked expression.

I mouthed back multiple sorries before closing the front door behind me.

I'd have to make it up to Julie, I can only imagine the third degree she'd have to endure. But, if I was to entertain all our mother's probing questions I would definitely be late. And besides, Ian seemed a whole lot more patient than Mr Knight, he would be a lot more forgiving if Julie was late.

I opened my clutch and started fishing through it for my phone to call a cab. It was only when I reached the bottom of our porch that I noticed the sports car idling at the end of our driveway. 

The windows were tinted, so I couldn't see inside, but I walked towards the car nonetheless. 

When I was about a foot away the driver's side door opened. Mr Knight's head appeared over the top of the car and he made his way around the back towards me. 

He looked like he walked straight out of a men's cologne ad. He was wearing a black tux and bow tie, with his hair styled to perfection. He looked, I hate to admit, gorgeous.

He was doing the same thing I was, checking me out until his eyes finally rested on mine. 

"You look... very nice." 

He looked positively uncomfortable. It wasn't every day that I got to see Mr Knight uncomfortable and I found it amusing to see him squirming.

"You don't look too bad yourself, sir," I answered with a teasing smile.

Mr Knight cleared his throat.

"Right, are you ready to go?" 

"Uh... yes, I'm all set."

Mr Knight opened the passenger door and held it open for me to climb in.

I slid into the passenger side, placing the heels I'd been carrying on the floor.

Mr Knight closed my door and climbed into the driver seat, starting the engine.

I knew absolutely nothing about cars, but judging from the leather interior and sleek black exterior, I could tell that this one was something to rave about.

"So, no Patrick tonight?" I asked, glancing over at Mr Knight.

"No, not tonight." He answered simply.

Hey, at least you got an answer this time.

"Do you mind?" I asked, motioning towards the radio.

"No, go ahead." He answered, fixing his eyes on the road.

I turned on the radio and started hopping channels until I found one that suited my liking and didn't create a crease between Mr Knight's eyebrows. We drove for about 20 minutes before we reached our destination.

The Rosenview hotel came into view. There was already a whole lot of people gathering around the hotel. 

Mr Knight switched off the ignition, before turning towards me. I was busy putting on my shoes and only realized him staring at me when I sat back up again.

"Elizabeth?" He looked at me intently.

A shiver ran down my spine at the way he said my name.

"Yes, sir?"

"You will be by my side for most of the evening and since this is somewhat of a social, informal setting, I'd prefer it if you call me William."

"Oh, Uhm... yes, of course, si... I mean William." I said, falling over my words.

Well, that's going to take some getting used to. Why stop all formalities now? Surely everyone would know I was his PA, what difference would it make if I call him Mr Knight?

Mr Knight opened my door. I got ready to climb out when he stretched his hand out for me to take. I looked at his hand hesitantly before finally placing my own in his and stepping out of the car.

That's when I was blinded by an explosion of white light.