Part 35

So... I am a terrible, horrible person. Let me start by saying I am sorry for not updating sooner. I have no excuse other than I was stuck as to how I was going to get to the next part of the story. I have since figured it out though. 

This chapter is dedicated to the wonderful @donalleslah and sorry for the long wait! I hope it was worth it X 

"I knew he wouldn't be able to keep away from you!" 

"It's not like that Lizzie! Everything has been casual, we're just friends." Julie stated through the phone.

I didn't have to see her to know that she was scarlet red. Julie and Ian had gone on another date, and Julie was trying to convince me that it wasn't exactly what it was, a date.

"Oh yes, because he isn't head over heels in love with you at all." I retorted sarcastically. "If he ends up proposing to you three months from now, it wouldn't shock me in the least."

I rolled over on the bed so that I was now laying on my stomach.

"Don't be silly, Lizzie. Enough about me, how's your trip going?" Julie deflected.

"It's a business trip, so it's pretty boring as can be expected."

"And Mr Knight, is he treating you as poorly as usual?"

"He's the same as always, moping around, acting all sullen," I said, trying to pass my tone off as nonchalant.

I almost felt guilty for not telling Julie about what happened earlier between Mr Knight and myself, but why would I? That hug meant nothing.  It was merely a result of both of us having a malfunction at the same time. Mine has to do with some sort of hormonal imbalance turning me into an irrational crying female. And his was some short-circuit in the brain which resulted in an unnatural bodily reaction. I knew that his display of affection was nothing of the sort. For some reason, he felt that he needed to pity me and that drove him to act all chivalrous and caring. 

One thing was for sure, none of that was going to happen again. William was not going to feel sorry for me, I wouldn't allow him to look down on me like that like I was something to pity. I know how men like William think, they see women as these precious, fragile things that needed saving. They got some sort of sick ego boost from it. I was no damsel in distress and I was set on extinguishing any thought of the sort from his mind. I, Elizabeth Bennet, was a strong independent woman and in no way needed a man to look out for me, no matter how strong my emotions were a moment before.

Movement sounded from the other side of my door, which meant that William was in the sitting room and sure enough I heard the sound of the TV following. 

"Julie, I've got to get going, but we'll talk again soon. And I want to know all about your next date with Ian when we do." I said quickly before hanging up.

William was sitting on the couch casually. He was wearing his jogger pants again with a relaxed tee. Funny how his being relaxed still had the opposite effect on me.

I took a seat on the couch, about as far away from him as possible. I wasn't quite sure how I was going to make him understand that what happened earlier was just a fluke, apart from coming out and saying it, which would be extremely awkward. 

This was the first time that I was in his presence again after what happened. After he released me from his embrace I practically bolted to my room and have been cooped up in there ever since. 

I have never in my life been so grateful for Law and Order. If the show hadn't been playing, a deafening silence would've landed in the room, one which neither William (due to his nature) nor I (due to our current situation) had any intention of filling with conversation. 

Just when I thought I was in the clear and our night would end off without a hitch, William lowered the volume and turned to me. 

He cleared his throat before beginning. 

"I moved this afternoon's meeting to tomorrow." He filled me in, his voice somehow sounded gruff, as if he had to force himself more than usual to talk. 

"Alright then." 

This was weird. I didn't want it to be, but it was, undeniably so. He was looking at me differently. The intensity behind his eyes was still there, causing me to want to squirm on the spot. But there was something else there, something new, that I wasn't yet sure whether I liked. 

"The meeting will be with one of the members of the board. She's English." He added the last part as if to reassure me.

Mr Knight would not reassure, not when speaking to me. Everything about him was deliberate, every action, every word decided, there was no time in his day to tip-toe around people's feelings. He said so himself.

Well...it seems like William reassures. William certainly seems to be okay with many things that Mr Knight would never allow. 

"William," I cut right to the chase, "what happened earlier today, will not be happening again. I don't know what you're thinking or how your opinion of me has been altered, but I can't think of that. Our relationship begins and ends with you being my boss and me being in your employment. And that's the only reason why I'm bringing this up. I won't be falling apart and I don't want you walking on eggshells around me because you think I might. We won't be able to work together like we have been if you do."

William was staring at me, his brows furrowing slightly during my speech but his face became impassive again by the end. 

"It seems we have a mutual understanding then." He said, before turning back to the screen and increasing the volume once more. 

Silence fell over us, both of us keeping our eyes trained on the screen.

You guys didn't think I was going to make it that easy, did you? May I remind you, William and Elizabeth are both pretty stubborn... so stay tuned!