Chapter 1

Lila Parker started off her day with being woken up to her twin brother slamming a pillow on her face. "Get up! You have that debate team competition today and you can't be late or Gwen will kill me," her brother, Peter said. If there's one thing Lila knew, it was that you do not want to make her best friend, Gwen Stacy, angry. She was terrifying when she was mad.

Lila had only seen it once when her other best friend, Harry Osborn, spilled Gwen's nail polish remover all over her bed at a sleepover when they were twelve. The Parker girl shivered every time she thought about it.

Lila groaned and pushed herself into a sitting position. "I'm up, I'm up. Did you really have to hit me in the face? There are other ways to wake people up, Peter."

"I screamed in your ear for a minute straight and you didn't move an inch," Peter deadpanned.

"Oh."

"Hey, is she up?" The twins turned to the door to find their Aunt May poking her head in the doorway. May and Ben Parker had been taking care of Peter and Lila since the death of their parents, when they were just four years old. Six months ago, Ben Parker was shot and killed, so now it was just May. Lila couldn't be more grateful for her aunt for everything she has done for them, especially paying for her medical bills.

See, Lila had been with Ben when he was killed. She was shot as well, and as she laid on the concrete screaming for someone to help them, her Uncle Ben died right in front of her. She could never get the sight of his lifeless eyes looking back at her. The bullet had hit her spine and after two surgeries, she was told that she was monoplegic. That meant that the damage done to her nervous system caused her left leg to be paralyzed. She wore a leg brace and used a crutch to help her walk.

"Yeah, May, I'm up." Lila yawned as she used her brother's arm to help her to stand. "Good. Hurry and get dressed so you can eat breakfast and go. I have to leave now, if I'm going to make my shift at the hospital, so I love you both and I will see you at dinner." May blew them kisses and left the apartment to go to work.

Peter and Lila yelled their goodbyes and began to get dressed for the day. Lila had to wear a white blouse and a black pencil skirt along with her debate team blazer for the competition today. She brushed her hair and teeth and put on her leg brace before putting on her combat boots.

She met Peter in the kitchen and they ate breakfast, which consisted of Cinnamon Toast Crunch and a bagel with cream cheese spread. The twins hastily finished eating before walking to the train station to go to school.

🪴🪴🪴
Gwen met Lila in the parking lot of the school where the bus would be waiting to take them and the rest of the team to their competition. "Hey! You look great! I love the boots!" Gwen said as soon as Lila was in speaking range.

"Thanks! I love your shoes too!" Gwen was modeling a similar outfit to Lila since it was the uniform for competitions, but she was wearing black platform Mary Jane's with white knee-high socks instead of black combat boots. "Thank you. Are you ready for the debate? I think you're up first," Gwen asked as she pulled a makeup mirror out of her book bag to check her lip gloss. She was meticulous about her makeup even though there was almost always nothing wrong with it.

"Yeah, I guess. I'm kind of nervous, though. What if I mess up and say the wrong thing? Or what if my leg gives out on me? It wouldn't be the first time. What if I-" Lila's rambling was cut off as Gwen put her hand over her mouth.

"Chill, Li. Everything's gonna be fine. You got this. And if your leg gives out I'll catch you, okay? It's fine. We are going win and it's going to be great. Let's speak it into existence. Now take a deep breath."