Chapter 19

It was Christmas morning at the Stark residence and the sun was shining through the windows.

Lucas woke up to the smell of breakfast and groggily made his way to the bathroom. After brushing his teeth, he headed to the kitchen where he saw his dad and Pepper arguing over the stove.

"Pep, I'm telling you, it looks fine. Edible, even."

"Tony, it's basically charcoal at this point. Look," she took what seemed to have been a burnt-beyond-belief piece of bread and banged it on the counter. Pieces flew off and it sounded like a hammer hitting a nail. "It's rock solid, honey."

"Isn't that how you like your French toast?" The older Stark replied as he put a hand on his hip. Pepper rolled her eyes and threw the toast in the trash.

"Just admit you can't cook."

"I absolutely can-"

"Cereal doesn't count."

"Fine."

Lucas laughed and the couple finally noticed his presence. "Burnt breakfast and petty arguments? It's a real Stark Christmas."

Tony rolled his eyes as Pepper snickered and pushed him away from the stove. "We're just continuing the family tradition, Lucas. Now, out of the kitchen, Tony. I'll make breakfast."

Tony raised his hands in surrender and made his way to his son. Clapping him on the shoulder, he led Lucas to the living room. "Merry Christmas, kid."

"Merry Christmas, Dad."

After a non-burnt breakfast, the trio began to open gifts. Nat King-Cole played in the background as Lucas tore open his gift from Pepper. He smiled as he opened the cream colored box.

"No way..."

It was a baseball signed by Jacob deGrom, one of the New York Mets' pitchers, incased in glass. To say Lucas was a die hard fan would be an understatement. Tony told him he should give up on the team, but Lucas told he'd never understand what it was like to be a "suffering fan" and still have hope.

"How'd you get this?" The brunette asked excitedly.

"I pulled some strings. There's more." Pepper smiled. If she was being honest, Pepper had gone a little overboard when buying Lucas presents. She knew he wasn't a materialistic person, but she felt she needed to make it up to him somehow after practically abandoning him when she broke things off with Tony. Tony had insured her that Lucas wasn't mad at her, but she still felt guilty.

After he opened the rest of the gifts, it was Tony's turn. He handed Lucas two boxes with a small, but nervous smile. He was never good at gift giving, but this was something he had been wanting to give to Lucas for a while now.

Let's face it, Tony was getting old. He wasn't going to always be around to watch out for Lucas and after the fiasco at the Washington Monument, Tony felt extremely guilty that he hadn't answered the call right away. He also felt guilty about not taking Peter seriously enough with the stolen tech.

He'd talk to the kid about that later, though, as he had something in mind for him.

These gifts were so that Lucas would always be safe when he wasn't around.

Lucas opened the rectangular box first and tilted his head in confusion. Inside was a pair of glasses, much like the ones he always saw his dad wearing. Looking up to his father with a raised brow.

"Is this your way of telling me you want to match?"

Tony rolled his eyes and shook his head. "Put them on."