Chapter 11

When Lucas woke up the next morning for school, he was greeted by FRIDAY. "Good morning, Lucas. Your father left you a message. Would you like me to play it?" Lucas furrowed his brows and rubbed the sleep out of his eyes. "Uh, sure."

"Hey, Kid. I'm sorry I had to leave. You know how Pepper gets about me being late to stuff. Anyway, get used to these messages cause I've turned a new leaf. Being more fatherly and all that and since I can't physically be there to say good morning, I figured this is the next best thing. So...good morning!" Lucas snorted at his fathers antics and got up to get ready as the rest of the recording played. "I hope you have a good day at school. At least try to learn something. Keep an eye on Parker and grow some balls and ask his sister out. You clearly like her and she likes you. Call me if you need anything and I'll be there. For real this time. Love you, kiddo. Don't do anything stupid."

The recording stopped and Lucas was left in silence. He smiled to himself and texted his father good morning before finishing getting dressed. He decided to walk with Peter and Ned to school since Harry had a doctors appointment and would be late and Lila went to school early for something.

Peter informed him that Ned found out his secret last night. "Dude. You need to get better at hiding stuff like this." Lucas had told him. Peter shook his head and adjusted the books in his hands. "I forgot he was coming over!"

As the trio walked to school, Ned kept asking Peter ridiculous questions about Spider-Man. "You got bit by a spider? Can it bite me? Well, it probably would've hurt, right? You know what? Whatever. Even if it did hurt, I'd let it bite me. Maybe. How much did it hurt?"

Peter sighed and Lucas rolled his eyes. "The spider's dead, Ned." The Filipino boy shrugged his shoulders before his eyes went wide at the destruction of Delmar's Sandwiches. It was nearly burnt down and police tape surrounded it. Officers and investigators stood around working. "Whoa."

Peter and Lucas stared as well. Lucas knew the robbery was bad but not this bad. He hoped Mr. Delmar was okay. Maybe he could get his dad to help rebuild his shop. Lucas saved that thought for later. "You were here?" Ned asked Peter, still in shock.

Peter warily looked at the rubbish. "Yeah." He trailed off. Lucas shook his head. "You could've died, Pete."

The teens stared at the building solemnly.

"Do you lay eggs?"

Lucas burst out laughing, clutching his stomach as he bent over. Peter snorted out a laugh before walking ahead. "What? No!"

🪴🪴🪴
Apparently, Ned's questions had been going on all day due to the slight look of annoyance on Peter's face. Now, they sat on the bleachers in the gym as Coach Wilson played a video of Captain America.

Lucas sat next to Lila, Gwen, and Harry as Peter and Ned sat a few rows behind them. Lucas snorted at the suit Steve wore. This had to had been made after the Battle of New York if Steve wore that awful thing. "Hi. I'm Captain America. Whether you're in the classroom or on the battlefield..." his voice frowned out as Lucas tried not to laugh at Gwen's cringing.

"Who payed him enough money to do this?" She asked incredulously. Lila shook her head in amusement as the boys laughed. The video finished and Coach Wilson turned the tv off. "Thank you, Captain. I'm pretty sure this guy's a war criminal now, but whatever. I have to show these videos. It's required by the state. Let's do it."

The class split off into sections. Lucas and Harry were climbing ropes, Ned and Peter were doing push-ups, and Lila and Gwen sat on the bleachers near Michelle, who laid on a mat reading her book.