Chapter 13

The next morning, Lila couldn't stop smiling. She kissed Lucas. Lucas kissed her. She was on cloud nine the whole night after Lucas left, having to get back to his hotel room before Mr. Harrington checked rooms.

As soon as he left, Lila quickly FaceTimed Gwen to tell her the news. Gwen promptly squealed before letting out a "finally!" She claimed Harry owed her money.

The bus ride to the competition was filled with secret glances and shy smiles. Lucas couldn't believe he actually kissed the girl he was pretty was the love of his life. Even better, she kissed him back! Needless to say, the Stark boy was on cloud nine.

Once they arrived to the venue, Lila looked around for Peter. She didn't see him get on the bus but maybe she glanced over him. She decided to walk over to Ned and Lucas who were whispering to each other. "Hey. Have you seen Peter? I want to wish him good luck. He's supposed to be on the first panel."

Ned looked nervous at the question and began to say the lie that he and Peter came up with before he left. "He got sick so he asked if he could stay in the hotel room." Lila furrowed her brows. "Is he okay? What's wrong?" She asked.

Lucas nearly rolled his eyes at the horrible lie. Ned had told him about the two hacking into Peter's suit. Peter was an idiot for taking out the tracker. What if he needed help and no one could find him? Not only that, but he could seriously get hurt and no one would know.

"I'm sure he's fine, Li. We'll check on him when we get back, okay?" He reassured the girl. She narrowed her eyes but nodded anyway. Soon they were walking inside and turning in their cellphones. "Please be sure all cell phones are turned off." The moderator announced.

Ned handed the security guard his phone and continued walking, not knowing that Peter was trying to call him.

                                     🪴🪴🪴
"We have now entered sudden death," the moderator announced. Michelle sitting next to Lila on the stage and Flash getting his spot back since Peter wasn't there. "The next correct answer wins the championship." Lila took a deep breath as Michelle hit her bell.

"Midtown Tech?"

"Zero." Michelle said with an impassive look on her face.

"That is correct! Midtown takes the championship!"

Everyone cheered and Ned and Lila sandwiched Michelle in a hug, everyone soon joining in.

In celebration, the decathlon team went to the Washington Monument. "You guys, I'm so proud of you!" Liz gushed.

"Told you we didn't need Peter." Flash said pridefully. Lila rolled her eyes and made a face at Lucas who snorted. "Flash you didn't answer a single question." He pointed out.

Mr. Harrington noticed Michelle standing by herself with her book in her hand. "Taking it all in, Michelle?"

"Oh, um, yeah. I just don't want to celebrate something that was built by slaves." Mr. Harrington's eyes widened. "I'm sure the Washington Monument wasn't built by-"

He then saw a park ranger shake his hand in a so-so manner as a confirmation that she was correct. "Okay. Enjoy your book." He then walked with the rest of the group.

"Hey, Michelle. Do you mind if I stay down here with you? My leg's bothering me." Lila asked as she sat next to the wavy haired girl. Michelle shrugged and returned to her book. "Sure."

As the rest of the group interred the building, Ned's phone went off. When he answered, Peter's relieved voice came through the speakers. "Ah, Ned, you're alive."