iv - the elways

aviva was in complete disbelief. she was confused, devastated, and furious. she took out her phone to call vera, but remembered she was at work. she instead called vera's wife, caroline elway. it took her a minute though, because her hands were shaking with both rage and utter sadness.

"hey uhm, caroline?" aviva said shakily, trying with everything she had not to burst into tears.

"aviva? are you okay?" caroline asked, hearing how emotional aviva sounded.

"n-not really...are you busy r-right now?" aviva asked.

"no no, i'm not," caroline said quickly.

"w-would you m-mind coming to pick me up from m-my parent's house?" aviva asked timidly.

"of course i wouldn't mind, sweetie. i'm on my way now," caroline said sweetly.

"thank you caroline," aviva managed to get out. she hung up. the one thing aviva needed in that moment was to be in her love's arms, but that was obviously impossible. however, she could get the next best thing, which was hearing his voice.

aviva: are you busy rn

corpse responded in a matter of seconds.

loml: no, what's wrong

aviva: my parents still think i'm crazy and a disgrace

aviva: i should have never trusted them

corpse immediately called her.

"viva," corpse said. she finally let go of her tears. "let it out. let it all out. everything is gonna be ok yeah?" corpse continued to say the sweetest things to comfort aviva until she was calm enough to talk. "is vera coming to get you?"

"no...she's at work. caroline is coming to get me. she should be here soon," aviva said quietly.

"you're gonna be just fine viva. i promise. you can stay with vera and caroline until sunday and then come home," corpse said. 

aviva got a text from caroline saying she had arrived. "caroline's here."

"alright, text me when you get to their house?" corpse asked.

"yeah," aviva replied.

"ok, love you. bye," corpse said.

"love you too," aviva said before hanging up. she collected herself and entered the house. she passed by both of her parents.

"where are you going?" leanna asked. aviva continued walking. she opened the front door and walked out of it. "hey!" leanna's yelling was cut off by aviva shutting the door.

she quickly walked to caroline's car and got in, hearing the front door open again followed by both her parents yelling. caroline being the amazing person she is, drove off as soon as aviva got into the car so they wouldn't have to deal with aviva's parents. vera had told her about the situation aviva was in, so she could tell what had happened based on aviva's actions towards her parents.

"i'm so sorry aviva," said caroline. "i'm sure the kids are gonna be happy to see you!"

"it's ok. thank you so much for coming to get me," aviva said. vera and caroline had two children, one an 8 year old girl named karina and another a 5 year old boy named patrick. aviva hadn't seen them in awhile, so she was excited to.

soon they got to vera and caroline's house, caroline helping aviva get situated in the guest bedroom. around half an hour later, caroline picked up karina and patrick from their daily summer camp. when they all got home, aviva was seated at the kitchen counter.

"aunt aviva!" karina and patrick said in unison, beginning to run over to aviva. she stood up and kneeled to hug them both.

"hey you two," she said happily. "it's been awhile!"

"you need to come more often!" karina said. once they got out of their hug, aviva looked at them both.

"you've grown too much!" aviva said, ruffling the hair on both their heads. they both giggled.

"aunt aviva's only staying until sunday, so make sure you spend time with her while you can!" caroline said to the kids.

"will you play games with us aunt aviva?" karina asked excitedly.

"maybe a little later," aviva said. she still needed time to process what had happened, and she wasn't fully ready to be happy and energetic for karina and patrick for longer than a few minutes.

once aviva got into the guest bedroom, she remembered that corpse was streaming today. corpse asked her earlier if she needed him to cancel the stream so he could be there for her, but aviva told him no. she checked corpse's youtube and saw that he was live, so she watched it.

watching corpse's streams made aviva so happy, because she could tell how happy it made corpse. even when he wasn't doing well or he was having a bad day, just hanging out and playing games with his friends always helped him feel better. although nothing could top actually being with corpse in person, watching him be in his happy place was close enough.

later in the day, aviva played some board games and video games with karina and patrick, vera and caroline joining in for some of it. they were all so sweet, and aviva was so grateful that they didn't side with leanna and andrew. to everyone's surprise, nobody heard anything from them. vera decided it was best to at least let them know what was happening.

vera: caroline and i are coming over tomorrow to get aviva's things. she is staying with us until sunday when she flies home.

leanna: why? what did we do?

vera: you know what you did.

andrew: i don't.

vera: you guys know how you were arguing about aviva not being a doctor and her being crazy? yeah, she heard all of that. she will not be going near either of you.

vera put the group chat on do not disturb and closed her phone so she wouldn't see any messages either of them sent after that.

aviva and corpse facetimed for awhile before aviva went to sleep. even though it was nice seeing her family, aviva couldn't wait to get back home to him.

the next day, aviva was hanging out with the kids while vera and caroline went to leanna and andrew's house to get aviva's things. she got a text from vera:

vera: mom and dad are being difficult, it's probably gonna take longer than expected

aviva: ugh i'm sorry

vera: it's ok. just hang in there.

not a moment went by in the day when aviva wasn't worrying about what her parents were gonna do. she trusted vera and caroline, but she still couldn't get the thought out of her mind that something bad would happen. 

vera and caroline got home around 4pm with aviva's things.

"that was quite eventful," caroline said as they walked inside.

"are you guys ok?" aviva asked.

"yeah, they didn't try to hurt us or anything, they were just trying to make us make you cancel your flight and stuff," said vera.

"i'm sorry," aviva said. "i really wish they'd just stop."

"it's not your fault v. they need to start acting like adults and just accept that you are who you are and they won't be able to change that," vera said. aviva smiled at her. she then saw a notification pop up on her phone, so she checked it. she had gotten a text from her editor lindsey.

lindsey: hey, i have a video idea

lindsey: u and corpse could play google feud! ik nobody plays it anymore but i think it could be fun

aviva found this a little weird, considering lindsey had barely ever sent her video ideas before. but, she didn't question it.

aviva: oo that actually sounds fun!! i'll think abt it