8

Annabeth POV-

Percy and I walked towards his apartment. I stayed close to him the whole time, knowing how crazy some New Yorkers were. I kept my head down, not wanting to draw attention to myself. We chose to walk because it was either that or riding in my very fancy car, and that would look suspicious. Besides, I like walking with Percy. What would people do if they knew I was here, walking around New York with some boy I just met, going deeper and deeper into the more run-down area?

"Sorry, we could've just taken a cab, I know it's getting late and the people are kinda craz-"

"Percy, it's fine. I'm enjoying our walk," I said, finally looking up at him. He smiled at me.

I got closer to him as a group of teenagers ran by crazily, as if they were running from someone in a game. I slipped my hand in Percy's as they bumped me with their shoulders. Whether that was an accident or on purpose, I was unsure.

"Don't worry, they're just messing around. They aren't gonna hurt you on purpose," Percy whispered and squeezed my hand reassuringly. Although I felt safer, I didn't let go.

We reached Percy's apartment and I waited as he pulled his keys out and unlocked the door. I saw a little girl waiting, Estelle. Luckily, Percy had me hidden just around the corner, so Estelle couldn't see me.

"Percy!" Estelle wrapped him in a hug. "Did you get my poster?"

He laughed. "Yep! Here you go, go show mom and dad!" He handed it to her gently and she squealed. She took a look at it and ran to go show her parents. I couldn't help but aww at how adorable she was. Percy waved me to the doorway and I stood next to him.

"I got my poster!" I heard her exclaim. A man laughed.

"That's great, Estelle!" He said happily.

"I'll be back in a moment," Percy whispered to me as he walked in the door. I stood at in my spot, waiting for Percy to call me in.

"Estelle, you have another surprise," Percy said. She fell silent, I could picture her waiting with anticipation. I heard footsteps as he came towards the door. He reached out to me and motioned me in. I followed him into the little apartment. I looked around, taking note of how they lived. The living room alone was about a third of the size of mine. I felt bad that they had to live like this, they deserved so much more.

"Annabeth Chase!" Estelle squealed, drawing my attention away from the house and towards her. She wrapped her arms around my legs and hugged me. I looked down.

"Oh my gosh. I didn't think it was possible, but Percy, she's even cuter than she was in the video!" I exclaimed. He laughed.

Estelle pulled away and smiled at me, showing off her teeth. She really was adorable.

"I can't believe you're here!"

"I can't believe I get to meet you!" I exclaimed, "your brother told me so much about you!"

"You did?" She looked at Percy, happy and surprised.

"Yeah, I did."

"So you and Annabeth have been hanging out a lot?" Percy's mom asked. I blushed a bit, but nodded.

"Yeah, I've been working in her studio."

"We've become pretty good friends. Even if he is a Seaweed Brain."

Percy's parents both raised an eyebrow at the nickname.

"Hey!" Percy exclaimed.

"It's true!"

"No it's not! I'm a genius, just ask Estelle!"

I turned towards Estelle. "Is your brother a genius?"

She looked at him and then back at me. She waved me down and whispered in my ear. "No."

I laughed at the little girl.

"Did she say no?" Percy faked a dramatic gasp.

Estelle and I shook our heads to say no. Percy, knowing we were lying, came over, scooped up Estelle in his arms and put her on the couch. He then started tickling her while she giggled.

I watched the siblings, they seemed close. Closer than I could and will ever be with Bobby and Matthew. The only thing I know about them is there favorite kind of juice.

"Percy, let Estelle go, we have to eat dinner," Percy's stepfather said. Percy had told me that it was his stepdad and not his real dad on the walk over here.

"Coming," he called. He climbed off the couch, and raced Estelle into the kitchen, I followed right behind them. Percy then sat down. I stood there, unsure of where to sit. Finally, Percy motioned to a seat between him and Estelle.

Percy's mom got us all water to drink and pulled food out of the oven. Pizza. But the crust was blue. I laughed.

"What's so funny Wise Girl?" Percy asked.

"The crust is blue," I said. "it's fun. I like it." The family smiled at me.

"Well hopefully you like the pizza itself just as much as you do the crust," Percy's mother said sweetly.

"I'm sure I will, it looks and smells delicious."

Percy's mom carried over the plate and set it on the table. Percy's stepdad brought over some chips for all of us and fruit for Estelle.

"But daddy! I don't want fruits!" Estelle whined.

"Estelle you have to eat them, Percy ate them when he was your age."

"Only the blue ones," Percy commented.

"Percy! You ate more fruits than just blueberries!" His mother scolded. Then, she turned to me. "Go ahead and take some pizza, dear."

"Thank you, Mrs. Jackson." I reached for a slice of pizza.

"Just call me Sally."

"Okay, Sally." She smiled happily at me. I took a bite of my pizza when I saw everyone had a slice. It was really good.

"Oh my gosh! This is amazing!" I exclaimed after I swallowed.

"Better than your pop-star food?" Percy teased.

"Yes! This is so good! Do you work at a restaurant?" I asked.

"No, Paul's a teacher, I'm writing a book, trying to become an author."

"How do you cook so well?"

She laughed, "practice and patience. I have a lot of patience after raising Percy as a child, even raising him now." She ruffled his hair.

"Hey!" Percy said with a mouthful of food. I looked to see that he was on his second slice of pizza already.

"Percy, you and some of my friends should go to a buffet sometime," I joked. "How did you finish that pizza slice so fast?"

"Like mom said, practice and patience... minus the patience part." I shook my head in disbelief.

Dinner at the Jackson's was one of the best dinners I've ever had, and I've eaten with some of the most famous pop stars in the United States.