10

Annabeth POV-

I arrived at my penthouse, the elevator dinging and doors flying open as I did so. I could hear Helen and a man negotiating something. I was going to ignore it until I heard my name.

"Annabeth and Luke can both get much more publicity with the video, it will be fantastic!" Helen said.

"I don't care if there's more publicity. How much money is this going to make?" I immediately recognized him as Hermes, Luke's father.

"I'm not sure. You'll get twenty-five percent though," Helen said.

"Luke's in the whole video! We should get fifty!"

I inched towards the dining room, where they were talking.

"Annabeth wrote and sung the song! We just need an actor to be the boyfriend! Be happy I'm considering Luke. There are many other actors that are equally, if not more, attractive."

"Forty! Forty percent or we're out!"

"Dad! I want to do the video! It will be nice to see Annabeth again!"

Luke. My heart raced. I wanted to scream at them for negotiating without me.

"Where is Annabeth anyways?" Hermes asked. "I thought you said she would be here."

"She usually gets home around dinner. I messaged her recently, she'll be here anytime."

I chose to walk in. I couldn't let this go on any farther without my input.

"Sorry I'm late, I was out with... a friend." I knew Helen wouldn't be thrilled if I told her about dinner at Percy's.

"Was it that Thalia girl again?" Helen asked.

"Umm... yes. It was Thalia," I lied.

"You know I don't like her."

"You know I don't care."

"How has Thalia been?" Luke asked.

"Thalia has been fine," I said coldly. He nodded, but said nothing. That was okay with me.

"Where were we?" Hermes asked. I took a seat at the end of the table, as far away as possible from all of them.

"I thought you said I still had a while until we decided on this," I pointed out.

"Your father and I changed our minds. Luke is the best fit for the part."

"Thank you for consulting the person who actually had to kiss him."

"Don't use that tone with me."

"I think it will be fine, Annabeth. What's the harm in one kiss?" Luke asked.

I scoffed. "Of course you would say that."

"What's that supposed to mean?" I leaned forward in my seat.

"Am I the only one who remembers why we broke up?"

He turned red with anger or embarrassment. I couldn't tell which. I got up and left the room.

"I'm going to bed. Thank you for your time, but I think I'll cast someone else."

"Annabeth!" Helen scolded. But I was already gone. I locked my door, I didn't even know why my room had a lock. Pulling out my phone, I collapsed in bed.