17

Annabeth POV-
(Again)

New Boyfriend for Annabeth Chase?

It showed a picture of the kiss I gave Percy on the cheek. I had no doubt more pictures would be up soon of us at the mall. What would my reasoning be to my dad and Helen?

I sighed and he looks apologetic. "I'm sorry," he said.

"For what, it's not your fault. You didn't take the photo and you didn't kiss my cheek. The public will be on it for a few days and then Drew and Octavian will out of the blue start dating and no one will care anymore."

"How'd you come up with Drew and Octavian?" He asked chuckling.

"I honestly picked two random people. Besides, Octavian is always doing stuff for her." We chuckled and then he sighed.

"I really am sorry, Wise Girl. I-"

"You couldn't have done anything, Percy."

"I wish I could help, the media will think we're dating and I-"

"I don't care what the media thinks. I'm telling you, they'll be over this in a few days."

"What about your parents?"

"Let's hope one of the twins did something really bad, like orange juice taken away level bad, so this will look like minor stuff because they love Luke more than anything and will hate this so much." I pressed the Home button on his phone and handed it back to him.

"Text me if there's any problems."

"I will. See you later?"

"Of course." I smiled, ignoring the situation at hand, I gave him another kiss on the cheek. He blushed and looked at me, clearly surprised. I shrugged and walked away.

I arrived in my penthouse that night in perfect time for dinner.

"Annabeth, I need to talk to you about something on the news," My father said as I sat down at the table. I knew what was coming. I just hoped my father was giving the lecture, he was always kinder and gentler than Helen was.

"Alright. Can we do it after dinner though? I just want to eat." He reluctantly nodded an okay as Helen and my little brothers appeared, dressed up for the meal.

"Annabeth? Why are you wearing that?" She pointed to the outfit that Sally had let me borrow. I would have to return this to her soon, after I got it washed.

"Because it's comfy. I was just hanging out with Thalia," I said. I stuck to my lie, not wanting to aggravate my father or Helen more.

Helen let out a frustrated sigh and looked at the clock. "Fine. We don't have any more time to waste or else your brothers will complain. Let's eat."

The meal wasn't nearly as good as Sally and Paul's blue meals. It was just a plain steak with green beans. All healthy because Helen didn't like anything to be unhealthy in the household.

"Annabeth, that's enough food. You need to stay thin if you're gonna perform." I shot her a glare and took another bite of the steak that seemed to be too done. "Annabeth, enough."

"I'm still hungry, Helen."

"I have no doubt all you did was eat unhealthy foods at your friend's house. You can't eat so much or else you will become fat."

"I'm perfectly fine, Helen. In fact, I'm having a lovely meal."

"Can I have more juice?" Bobby asked, interrupting us.

"That's not healthy for you. You can have water only," Helen said, still glaring at me.

"Mom!"

"Bobby! I said no! You should've thought of that before you drank all of the juice in your cup!" Bobby pouted and turned to face my dad with hope on his face.

"Bobby, listen to your mother."

Bobby sighed and stood up from the table. "May I be excused?"

"Finish your meal."

I snapped. "So he can finish his meal, but I can't finish mine?!"

My father sighed. "Annabeth-"

I stood up and opened a cupboard to grab a bag of Cool Ranch Doritos out of it. I was surprised that Helen even allowed these to get through the front door.

"Thank you for dinner. I will be eating a snack it in my room, because unfortunately I am not full." I opened the bag and walked up the stairs, spilling the crumbs everywhere. Helen was yelling at me to come back down the stairs, but I ignored it.

Later, I heard a knock on my door. I carelessly set my blueprints aside and called, "Come in!"

My dad appeared in the doorway, clearly distressed. "I wanted to talk to you earlier, but I never got the chance." He pulled up his phone.

"I know about the news article," I said.

"So it's not true, right?" he asked, looking relieved. "Was it photoshopped?"

"It's not entirely true. The picture wasn't photoshopped, but Percy's just a friend. We've been hanging out a lot. His little sister is the most adorable thing to walk the earth-"

"But you're not dating, right?"

"No."

"Good. I don't need Hermes angry with us considering right now, you are supposed to be doing a music video with Luke. I'll tell Helen what you told me." He smiled. I enjoyed my dad when he wasn't around Helen, he was kind and easy to talk to.

"Thanks dad."

"That's where you've been these last few days, isn't it? Hanging out with him?"

I sighed. He would read right through a lie, besides, he wasn't angry. "Yeah. We were watching a movie and both Percy and I fell asleep, so his step dad Paul told me that it was okay to stay for longer." Then I added. "Don't tell Helen that's where I really was. Please."

He gave a meek smile. "I'm glad you made a new friend Annabeth and I won't, don't worry." He grabbed a chip out of my bag of Doritos and bit into it. "We need more of these."

He left the room and I smiled to myself. I pulled out my phone and texted Percy.

Me: Helen's a bit upset with me, but dad is okay. I explained what happened to him.

Percy: good
Percy: see you Monday right?

Me: forgot that you had that party for your friend tomorrow. See you Monday

The ellipses showed that Percy was typing, but they came and went as if he was unsure of what to say. Finally, the message came through.

Percy: good night

Me: you too

I turned my phone off and set it on my nightstand. I pulled out my blueprints, examining the house again. After it passed my check, I set it aside and turned my lights off.