chapter thirty-three. swiss cheese walls

***

***

"not gonna scream in my face this time?"

***

Soon after Chico's life faded before their eyes, Maria dropped to Marcus's side to check on him, Willie right behind her. "I'm not the acid king," Marcus muttered, his eyes barely staying open.

Simon and Saya focused on Billy who was perhaps in even worse shape than the Arguello boy. "We have to go!" Saya shouted.

"Chico's body!" Maria cried out.

Simon shook his head, lifting Billy up. "Leave it. We don't have time."

"Come on!" Willie insisted, helping pick up Marcus.

Andi stood off to the side, simply watching as they hurried to evacuate the alley. Her eyes kept returning to Chico's body though, unable to look away. She didn't feel anything when she looked at him. Not sadness or contempt. Not even relief over the death of someone who was a grade-A asshole and sadistic fuck. She felt void of all emotion.

The blonde knew she was broken, mentally and emotionally. But, despite how much she hated Chico, she still expected to feel something when faced with his death. He had gone to school with her for years. He wasn't a stranger. It was one thing when she killed pedophiles and psychopaths out on the street. They had no connection with her, no ties. But, Chico was a peer one way or another, and she felt nothing.

"Andi, c'mon!" Simon called out to her, urging her to follow. She hurried over to him but stopped before they wandered out of the alley.

"Go to the Guild's medical clinic here in Vegas. They'll help Billy and Marcus," she told him.

He and Saya furrowed their eyebrows at her in confusion. "You say that like you're not coming with us?" Saya said, worry tinging the tone of her voice.

"I'm not. Someone has to go clean up the mess back at the hotel. The police have probably already swarmed it, but still, someone has to try to go clear anything that will lead it back to us." The two still seemed hesitant to leave her though. She shot them a small smile, one that was a lie. "We really don't have time to argue. Don't worry. I'll be fine, just meet me at the hotel before you leave town."

Giving them the directions to the clinic, she watched as they left to get the two boys medical attention. Slowly, she made her way back to their hotel rooms. By the time she got there, the police were finishing their initial investigation and moving on to canvas the area. Crossing her fingers, she hoped that their belongings were left there and weren't collected as evidence.

Her hopes were answered as she snuck into the room to see Billy and Marcus's bags still in place. Sighing in relief, she glanced around the room and surveyed the damage. Bullet holes littered the dingy walls like Swiss cheese. Dust and pieces of plaster were scattered over the furniture and floor. She hurried to get all traces of them out of the room before she was caught tampering with the crime scene.