chapter twenty-nine. stress relief

***

***

"i'm long overdue to get fucked up"

***

warning: (flashback) graphic depictions of torture and violence from/against children

***

Over the course of the week, Andi decided to take it easy for once. She had been correct in her assumptions that she had sustained a concussion from having her head smashed into a brick wall, naturally. Both her arm and her leg wound had also been stitched up.

The doctors at the school's infirmary were pleased with how her injuries were healing. They even said she could get the stitches removed after the weekend. The blonde was happy with the news. The quicker her injuries healed, the quicker things could return to normal for her.

Aside from physically taking it easy, Andi was—mentally and emotionally—stressed.

The stupid, teasing letter from Abaddon was consistently at the forefront of her mind. She had not felt so weak and vulnerable since she was thirteen years old. It was not as if she did not realize that Abaddon had been watching her, or even that he was in San Francisco. She did. But, now that she was facing the possibility of coming confrontation with him, she was terrified.

She was on edge. Over the week, her nerves settled slightly as each day passed with no sign of him, but she was still on edge. Paranoia was eating away at her. So, when Saya mentioned Vegas, her answer was almost immediate.

Andi needed this trip. She needed the distraction. She needed to get out of the city where she felt her tormentor's eyes on her everywhere.

When the blonde asked Saya who else was going, the Kuroki girl started to list people off: Maria, Willie, Simon, Billy... Marcus. The dark-haired girl seemed reluctant to mention the Arguello boy and Andi did hesitate when he was included in the list, although it was not at all surprising that he was.

She and Marcus were awkward. For the first few days after their emotional confrontation, they avoided each other. Not because they were mad or upset, but because they wanted to give each other space and time to process everything so that they could start over. When they finally did begin to hang out again, their interactions were stiff and almost robotic, doing what they thought the other wanted or needed, not what was natural. However, by the end of the week, they had some sort of understanding with each other to be civil and not... weird with each other.

They were still working on that last part though, hence the awkward.

Andi needed the trip though, and she and Marcus were still on good terms despite everything, so she agreed to tag along. If worse came to worse, she had Maria, Saya, and Simon to distract herself with instead.