chapter twelve. teenage wasteland

***

***

"your past mistakes will fall on your daughter now"

***

Marcus watched as the beautiful blonde redressed. She stood with her back to him, fastening her bra. "Are you just gonna stare at me? Or are you gonna get dressed too?" she turned toward him and asked, a smug look on his face.

Andi reached down and picked up his shirt, throwing it at him and making them both laugh. He caught it before it could hit him and went to pull it over his head. He stopped when he noticed something he had failed to notice during their moment of passion in the dimly lit room.

She had not been kidding when she said she had scars. There were not nearly as many as he had, but there they were. She had managed to keep them hidden. His eyes roamed her half-dressed body, examining the raised, puckered skin of her scars.

There was one on her abdomen. It had been strategically hidden by the high-waist of her skirt.

Another set of scars littered her upper thighs just above where the hem of her skirt fell. One specifically caught his eye. It was in the shape of an "A". His eyes narrowed, rage building up at whoever had marred her skin.

Andi was rather oblivious of his change in mood, turning back around to pick up her shirt. Marcus noticed even more faded scarring on her upper back, arranged like tallies. Six in total. The new Rat gave her credit; she did a hell of a job keeping them subtly covered. Luckily, she did not have to have to alter her wardrobe drastically to do so.

Marcus did not say anything to her about them. He knew that was a story for another time.

Instead, he followed her lead and dressed so they could return to the party. The Latino boy would be lying if he said he was eager to rejoin the crowd. He would much rather spend the rest of the night with Andi, up there in that spare bedroom. A part of him was afraid that once they went back to the rest of the world, her cold exterior from school would return and this time for good.

To cover his own ass, emotionally, he prepared himself not to expect anything past this night to happen between them. They were not dating. She was not his girlfriend. In fact, there was no telling what the blonde would be comfortable with the next day. She was the same girl that threatened him at lunch one day for just being in her presence, to barely batting an eye at his appearance the next.

The sex had been mind-blowing, to say the least. Not that he had anything to compare it too. During their conversation beforehand, there had been such chemistry and understanding between them. It was the first time he saw her on equal grounds as him, and he believed she felt the same. Why else would she open up to him like that?

***

Andi led the way back down to the party. No one else bothered with them as they entered the kitchen, each grabbing another can of beer. As she popped the can open, she caught Saya's eye over Marcus' shoulder.