chapter thirteen. sleep deprived

***

***

"ooh, i like it rough"

***

Her fingers danced across the keys of the piano, playing the melodious tune she had been taught. The song was beautiful and emotional. Andi was glad that Delphine took the time to teach her the piece.

Focusing on the sheet music in front of her, the blonde poured her heart into the music with discipline and dedication that her French tutor was proud of. When the young girl was playing her music, she was in another world, the notes consuming her and shutting out the elegant, Oklahoma country home around her.

As the young blonde finished the last notes, Delphine beamed at her and clapped. "Magnifique!" the dark-haired woman praised. Andi returned her praise with a shy smile.

"Thanks, Delphine."

"She's right. That was beautiful," Lorraine Broughton said from the doorway of the study. Andi's happiness faltered as she turned to the harsh, blonde woman at the edge of the room. Her mother never interrupted her lessons unless it was important, and if it was important, it was usually bad.

Andi's smile turned to a frown. "What's wrong?"

Lorraine's soft smile fell at her daughter's words. "I have to go on another trip soon."

"When?"

"Tomorrow." Andi rolled her eyes and began to collect her sheet music. She was not ignorant. She knew what her mother did. Her mother allied herself with everyone and no one at the same time. Never trusting anyone, yet ready to stab her allies in the back when the opportunity presented itself. The only one she managed to have an inkling of trust for was Delphine.

The young blonde looked to her tutor, "May I be excused?"

The French woman looked between the mother and daughter uneasily, nervous to dismiss the girl and upset Lorraine for doing so. "Um—"

"Andi, wait!" her mother ordered her, keeping her from leaving.

"Fine. Just answer one question for me," the twelve-year-old started. "Who's it for this time? Is it Ouroboros? Those wackjobs?"

"Andi, you have to understand. Sometimes you have to align yourself with those who were once your enemies to achieve your goals," her mother said.

The young girl shook her head in disbelief, giving a sarcastic laugh. "Says the woman who only has enemies to align herself with now. You fucked over the whole world and now these crazies are the only ones you have left." The young girl stormed out of the room, leaving her belongings there.

"Andrea!" Delphine's soft voice called out to the upset blonde.

Andi did not respond though, not looking back as she exited the house, grabbing her mother's car keys on the way. She glanced behind her but was not surprised when there was no sign of her mother following her. She got in her mother's car, breathing deeply as she tried to calm down.