chapter twenty-six. plan b

***

***

"it could be the difference between life and death"

***

Saya, Andi, and Marcus crawled through the vents after Chico.

The blonde was initially apprehensive about leaving Petra and Viktor alone with their life-threatening injuries, but when the goth girl insisted she go, making the blonde see that she needed to go fight the Kurokis, Andi listened.

Eventually, the vents let out into stone hallways that made up the bowels of King's Dominion. Saya led the way. The Kuroki girl seemed to know where she was going but Andi did not know if she was just acting confident. Andi did not argue though, letting the dark-haired girl navigate.

Marcus trailed behind the two girls, glancing around nervously every once in a while.

"I'm gonna flay that bastard," Saya seethed, referring to Chico.

Andi scoffed, "Not if I get to him first." The leader of Soto Vatos had one job, to just sit there and let the blonde come up with a plan. He lasted all of three seconds before jumping ship. Some big, scary badass he was. No, Chico was a coward and he always would be. One lapse of judgment on both of their behalves could not change that.

The blonde did not understand what exactly made him help her while Saya's cousins were trying to eviscerate them, but she had chalked it up to instincts in the face of fear. They may not be anything close to friends, but they were still peers. Up until recently, there was a certain level of respect they each had toward each other. Andi may have hated him and hated what he did to her best friend, but she respected his power and influence.

Now, though, any respect she had toward him was long gone. Any inkling of understanding had been thrown out the window and lost in the wind. Chico was a coward. Plain and simple. He took the easy way out and left the rest of them behind. Sure, the baby gang leader did not owe them anything. But, how were you supposed to breed loyalty amongst your people when you were not loyal to them either.

Andi sure hoped that for his sake, El Alma del Diablo had another in mind to lead Soto Vatos when he was done because the cartel would fall under Chico's rule.

Chico was a mad dog, and mad dogs needed to be put down.

Marcus let out a short, sarcastic laugh. "Here I thought you guys were close. Aren't you like best friends now?" he directed toward Andi.

The blonde quickly spun toward Marcus, her hair whipping out, the ends stinging his cheek as the strands hit him at such speed. "Excuse me?" she hissed at him, slowing down briefly so that they were now walking next to each other.

Marcus gulped nervously at the ire in her eyes. The words had slipped out before he even realized what he was saying, but it was too late now. "You and Chico? Hell, back there you were like two peas in a pod."