chapter ten. bathroom rendezvous

***

***

"you're not my type"

***

Andi was dodging partygoers with Marcus at her heels when she spotted Billy going to talk to Petra. "Wait, wait," she said to Marcus who caught up to her.

"What?" he said with a short laugh, reaching for the Walkman again.

She hurriedly pulled it back, laughing. "Nice try. But, look. Billy's gonna talk to Petra." Marcus glanced at the genuine grin she had as she watched his green-haired friend approach the goth girl sitting on the couch. Marcus, too, watched the exchange in anticipation.

"Pizza. I-Italy," Billy mumbled as he walked up to Petra. She looked up at him, but her attention shifted to Lex as he came over in his drunken glory.

"Would it kill you to smile, Petra? Poor, sad poet." The dark-haired girl looked away from him, a deadpanned expression gracing her made-up features. Lex continued to nag at her, "Thigh-cutting, clove-smoking, mardy fucking Bauhaus listener." She had obviously had enough, getting up from her spot and walking into the other room. "Go to the park. Feed the sodding squirrels. Life's not so bad." As she walked through the archway, she gave him the finger.

Andi watched as Billy's face fell. Fuck it, she was going to give Lex a break tonight, but not anymore. Unfortunately, for him, a drunk Andi could handle a sober Lex, but a drunk Andi could not handle a drunk Lex. After he finished his verbal assault on Petra, he moved onto Brandy who had just entered the room. And after her, he decided to harass Dwight too.

"I'm about to throat punch him if he doesn't shut the fuck up," Andi muttered.

She looked behind her at Marcus, whose eyes narrowed at the other Rat. "Not if I beat you to it."

"I still might. Just cause."

The blonde watched as Marcus stepped in front of her towards Lex. "Damn, you got them all pegged, Lex. Looking down your nose, talking loud. You're no different than a jock or a prep. You're just another elitist dick with bad hair and a shitty bicycle chain necklace."

Lex leaned forward, scowling at Marcus. "Careful, mate. Murder school and all that."

Andi grabbed Marcus' hand and pulled him back, worried that a fight was about to break out between the two friends. "Maybe you should take your own advice, asshat," she snapped at Lex before pulling Marcus out of the room.

"You good?" Andi asked the fuming boy beside her.

"I hate bullies," he seethed. "Lex knew Billy was trying to talk to Petra and he dicked it all up." Marcus stopped and yelled out behind him, "He's just an asshole!"

Andi grabbed him and yanked him into the bathroom, trying to get him to cool down. She set the Walkman on the side of the sink and smiled at him, despite everything that had happened, "Everyone at this school is an asshole. Even me. Remember... when I told you I didn't care if you jumped off that tower."