chapter sixteen. own worst enemy

***

***

"i'm pretty sure that guy called me a clumsy bitch in chinese"

***

Simon had been trying to talk to Andi all morning, but it seemed the blonde was perfectly content ignoring him. He knew she was pissed about what happened at lunch the day before. He honestly had not known what Chico was planning, but he had known something was going to happen. And did he stop it? No.

It was difficult for him. Falling in line with everyone else is easy. Going against the grain is where he had problems. The Preps were his people. He did not necessarily enjoy their company all the time, but it was nice to know that certain people had your back.

However, it was not friendship. The security that came with being the leader of the Preps was conditional. There were certain things he could not do and certain things he had to do to stay protected. He already displayed weakness at the insistence that Andi receive protection despite the fact she was not aligned with their group. If he started trying to stick up for the Rats too, then both he and the blonde were done for.

Andi did not even know how much more difficult her life would be without the Preps protection. One slip up and Kendall would use to the opportunity to usurp Simon's leadership in a second. Then he and Andi were as good as Rats.

You never wanted to be the lone guy in the prison yard.

The two probably be even worse off than the Rats, seen as traitors to their legacy titles. They would be looked at as if they had forsaken their blood right as elite members of King's Dominion.

Simon tried to push the doom and gloom from his thoughts as he tracked down Andi. He had to talk to her. As much as he worried about all of it, he would rather have her as his friend and be exiled from the Preps than be stuck with all those stuck-up wankers without the relief of her presence.

He found her by her locker as lunch began. Her silver-blonde hair pinned away from her face as she sorted through books. The Londoner rushed to her side, "Hey, I've been looking for you everywhere."

"Well, you found me," she replied shortly, not in the mood for a conversation.

"I wanted to apologize again. I should've told you that something was going to happen. I just don't want you to get pulled into Hell Week just because you like Marcus, okay?" He ignored the way she tensed as he said those words. "I know I should've let you make the decision on your own. I won't let it happen again."

"Fine. You have to let me know if you find out about anything else they're planning though."

"I will. I swear I will," he promised.

Andi slammed her locker door shut. She started to walk away, Simon following. It only took him a second to realize they were heading towards the dorms instead of the cafeteria. "Why are you—?"