chapter twenty-two. behavioral rectification

***

***

"i know the drill"

***

Andi reclined on her bed, completely dressed and filing her nails as she waited patiently. A loud knock sounded through the quiet dorm room. With a soft sigh, the blonde stood and slipped on her white converse before answering the loud bang.

As soon as she opened the door, the noise from the hallway grew louder. Lin's monks stood on the other side, ordered to escort her to detention. They stepped forward to grab her upper arms but she pushed their hands away.

"I know the drill," Andi snapped. She was pissed, more at herself than the monk that caught her. She would not even be as mad if she had been given detention for fighting like Marcus had, but instead, she was caught out of bed after curfew. Stupid, amateur bullshit.

Thinking of the Nicaraguan boy almost made Andi groan aloud as she made her way to the library, the monks trailing behind to make sure she did not take an unexpected detour. Seeing Marcus so soon after the previous night had her dreading this detention even more. She had run. Like a fucking coward.

Her mind was at war with itself when it came to Marcus. She wanted to let him in so badly, to just be with him. Yet another part of her, which sounded suspiciously like her mother, always persuaded her against the idea. She knew he was going to be confused at how things ended the previous night, but she could not afford to get anyone else mixed up in her shit.

They arrived at the library and Andi braced herself for the hellish next couple of days. The monks opened the door and before they could shove her inside, she snapped her head towards the one to her right and glared. "I said, I know the drill," she practically growled, stepping inside the dusty, dark library.

It seemed like she was the last to arrive, however, Master Lin was absent still. She heard the heavy doors slam behind her as she walked farther into the room. Nobody really acknowledged her presence. Well, no one except the one person she was trying to avoid.

Marcus looked up when she entered the room. Their eyes met and the blonde quickly looked away from the awkward eye contact. She could not stand to see the confused, helpless look in his eyes and know that she was the reason why it was there. Quickly diverting toward the desk Saya was sitting at, she took a seat next to the Kuroki girl and waited for the final member of their party to arrive.

As they waited for Lin, Andi leaned back in her chair, crossed her arms over her body and closed her eyes, desperately trying to ignore Marcus's stare. Her goal was to sleep through as much of this damn detention as she possibly could.

She opened her eyes for a split second only to see Saya looking at her with her eyebrows raised. Andi knew that she, too, was questioning why the blonde was not sitting next to Marcus. "Don't even ask," Andi muttered under her breath, knowing the other girl could hear her. "It's a long story."