Chapter Three

Once they were finally finished, Sophie had steristripes going across her stomach, her hand was in a cast and would have to rest for forty-eight hours. She also had to ice it every four hours. Her ankle was bandaged, which she would also have to ice. The bandages were on for a week and if it still hurt after that, she would need crutches. Sophie had to do exercises for her had on top of that. Elwin decided it would be better not to move her foot until her stomach was better. The steristripes would be taken off in ten days.

Now, Sophie laid on her back in the guest room she had been offered. There was a queen size bed but she lay on the edge.

Silent tears ran down her cheeks as she went over what happened in the woods. They were gone. Dead. Sophie cried herself to sleep, unknowingly.

The next morning she woke up and slightly panicked before she remembered where she was then groaned from the daylight coming in though the window.

Sophie got up slowly, wincing at the pain in her stomach. She saw some crutches next to her bed with a note taped to the wall. She took them and read the note.

I figured you might need them after all, your foot should rest for now.-Elwin

Adjusting the crutches, Sophie hobbled downstairs, making sure to keep her foot off the ground. She heard chattering in a room and headed for there. In the room was a table which had Alden, Fitz, Della, Biana, and a blond sitting in wooden chairs that were cushioned.

"Sophie! I was going to bring you some food up stairs! You should not be up yet!" Della panicked, sitting up form her chair.

"Sorry," Sophie muttered, looking down in embarrassment. Fitz stood up too and walked over to her.

"It's fine, would you like some food? We're having pancakes today." He smiled easily as Sophie looked back up and nodded.

"Here, I'll help you get some since you're in crutches." He led her over to the kitchen where a big stack of pancakes were sitting with all sorts of toppings. All types of fruit, whipped cream, syrup, chocolate and strawberry sauce, and powdered sugar.

"My mom wanted to make a special breakfast since you're new. Do you like it?" Fitz looked adorably nervous as he fiddled with his fingers, but Sophie paid no attention to him as she took three pancakes, buttered them and started to put strawberries and blueberries all over the place. To top it off she took the powdered sugar and put that on each pancake, which also had fruit in between them and did puddles of syrup all over the plate.

Once she was done she turned back to Fitz who was staring at her amusingly.

"What? I've lived off of bread, soup, yogurt, and honey for the last year of my life, this is the most appetizing thing I've like ever seen." Sophie said, a little offended.

"I'm not judging," Fitz said, smiling a movie star smile.

"Can you carry my plate? It's a little hard with crutches." Sophie asked, changing the subject.

"Of course." Fitz took her plate to the room where all the people were eating with light chatter. He set her plate down on the empty space next to his chair and helped her put her crutches against the wall. They both sat down, eating their breakfast.

Fitz has two pancakes with chocolate sauce and syrup drizzled over them along with strawberries and whipped cream. His was more messily put together, though.

"Why do your pancakes look so precise?" A blonde asked. Sophie recognized him as the guy from the staircase that had been standing next to Biana. He had dirty blonde hair that looked like it had been styled to perfection. His eyes were ice blue and looked somewhat familiar somehow.

"The aesthetics, obviously." Sophie replies as her fork sank into the fluffy pancakes and she slid her knife across to make small squares.

"See! She gets it!" Biana said exaggerating.

"I still don't get it, it's food. You take it. You eat it." The boy said, shoving a price of pancake in his mouth, then smirking. "I'm Keefe by the way."

"I'm Sophie Foster, nice to meet you, all of you." Sophie smiled politely at them.

After they were done eating Biana dragged Sophie up to her room.

"Okay, so I definitely think red is your color, so how about..." Biana walked in to a closet muttering different things about colors and sizes.

Eventually, she reappeared with a knee length dress that was a dark hibiscus color. It had thin straps and a cross of the fabric in the front with a small sweetheart lining.

Sophie sighed, but she didn't care much so she took dress and went inside the bathroom that Biana showed her to change. She had some difficulties changing into the dress but, managed to get it on, but she thought she might need to go see Elwin after she was done here to make sure she didn't disturb the cut.

Sophie looked around the bathroom, which was big. The vanity had two sinks with clean white granite. There was a jar that held three tooth brushes. There was a big bathtub that had three shelves.

After Sophie was done changing she looked in the mirror. Her hair was a mess, completely knotted and extremely greasy. Her eyes looked tired and red, most likely from crying. She looked a bit paler too.

"Sophie? Are you okay in there?" Biana asked from outside the door."Yeah, Sophie said, "Yeah I'm fine." She didn't bother washing her face or fixing her hair and stepped out of the bathroom.

Biana looked concerned as she walked out of the room. "Follow me." She said, heading back towards her room.

Sophie followed Biana to her bedroom on her crutches. Biana led her to her bed helping her put her crutches on the wall and sit down on the edge. Biana went in her bathroom and came out with a purple hairbrush.

Sophie sat quietly as Biana brushed though her messy hair with surprisingly gentleness. "Did something... happen, when you were out there?" Biana questioned carefully.

"Like what?" Sophie asked quietly, looking down at her hands that were in her lap.

"I don't know. It's just..." she sighed. " I heard you crying in your room last night, I just wanted to make sure that everything's alright."

Sophie felt tears burn her eyes and her throat tighten. Speaking became impossible as images of her sister being grabbed by the monster flashed though her mind. Was it her fault? She gave Amy the toy and if the toy didn't make noise maybe they would have found this place together. Or maybe they would still be alive...

"Sophie. Sophie? Are you still with me?" Biana asked. She had stopped brushing her hair. Should she tell them? They trusted her. And offered her a safe place to stay, maybe even saved her life. No, if she told them she would tell them when she wouldn't break down crying and when they were together. You're making up excuses for no reason, her mind told her but she pushed it to the back of her head.

"I just... miss my family." Sophie said as her throat loosened a bit.

Biana looked at her with pity. "You can tell us anything, okay? You live here now, we want you to feel comfortable. Maybe We'll find some more people next time we go out with the help of you." She smiled and stood up. "You look amazing in that dress. I have some clothes that don't fit me anymore so maybe you can have some of those. Do you like sweatshirts? I have plenty of those, I don't wear them too often either."

Sophie stood up and followed Biana to her closet. 

They both sighed before getting to work.

Posted- 1/30/21

Word count- 1,292

hello loves! *realizes I have nothing to say* ummmm... goodbye loves!