Chapter 2

I eventually arrived at the bakery, and the 10 minute journey had turned out to be a 30 minute journey due to the amount of traffic caused by people trying to get to work.

"Valerie!" Gianna squealed while hugging me tightly

"Gianna!" I said returning the same energy "Okay, if you hug me any tighter you're going to kill me" I spoke as I let out a laugh

"Gosh it's been ages since I last saw you" she exaggerated while continuing to wipe the tables

"Gianna we saw each other yesterday" I rolled my eyes with a smile on my face as I put on my apron, tying it.

"24 hours is a long time Val, you know I need to constantly annoy you" she pouted

"Oh Gianna, now where's Maria I've missed her" I asked

Maria didn't come to the bakery for a couple of days because she wanted to spend some time with her "old granny gang" as she referred it to as, which made burst out laughing the first time I heard it.

"Missing this old lady now are you?" a similar voice spoke behind me

"Maria! you have no idea how I felt like working alone with Gianna for 3 whole days" I laughed, quickly walking over to her and giving her a motherly embrace while inhaling her scent which never ceased to make me happy.

"She must be a whole lot of trouble" Maria said in her soft gentle voice while I released from her hug, immediately feeling a small part of me get sad as I would love to hug Maria forever.

"Wow...making my grandmother go against me now?" Gianna spoke as she pretended to get offended

"Sapevo che avrei dovuto darti in adozione dopo che quella puttana di tua madre se n'è andata" Maria replied which made Gianna gasp
( I knew I should have put you up for adoption after that bitch of your mother left)

"hey! let's not forget I have no idea what you're saying" I interrupted them from their grandmother-daughter conversation

"Nothing new sweetie but now both of you it's time to open up the cafe so let's get to work" Maria ordered "Oh and Valerie, is it fine if you can do night shifts for this week because it's been quite packed at nights and you don't have to worry, I'll increase your salary"

"Oh no no, it's completely fine and you don't have to increase my salary, you've helped me so much with money already" I gave out a thankful smile to which she smiled in return as a gesture to show that it was nothing.

***

When Maria said that it was really starting to get packed at nights, she wasn't lying. There were twice as many customers as usual during rush hour in the afternoons which is honestly crazy. When word got out that the famous Maria was back, people couldn't wait to get their hands on her freshly baked goods, but in all honesty, Maria's food was to die for.

I was able to help with taking orders and handling the tills as Maria and Gianna focused on preparing more treats for tomorrow.

As the clock struck 9:00 p.m, the rush had died down, and a few people were getting up to leave, when Gianna came out with a bag.

"Here Val, your favourite cookies and nonna said to wait until we clean and close the bakery and then we'll drop you off" she offered (grandmother)

"There's no need, I'll take the bus like usual and thanks for the cookies!" I said while hugging her

"Are you sure? it's quite dark out" she said worriedly as I released from the hug

"Honestly Gianna, I'll go by myself"