Chapter 8: Burning Blaze

The sun was brimming joyfully in the clear blue sky, that was a pleasant surprise after yesterdays' grey clouds and thunderous storms. Although, everyone had risen early this fine day to get to work, even King's butler had ironed the clothes, swept the floors and raked the leaves off the porch, but there was no sign of movement in his master's bedroom nor the guest bedroom.

Klaus had woken up to feeling uncomfortably warm and snug. He didn't even need to open his eyes to know that the sun was directly over him. The bright golden light burned right through his closed eyelids and forced him to turn his head away. In that instant, Klaus's sleep broke and he remembered everything from yesterday.

Klaus tried his hardest to move his limbs, but he couldn't. Klaus slumped down in defeat when he opened his eyes and gawked at the sight. King Vitiello was wrapped around Klaus, sleeping peacefully and shirtless using Klaus as a teddy bear.

"King," he called out, "it's time to wake up." Klaus didn't even know why he tried, this man was impossible to wake up any time of the day.

Klaus looked around the room and spotted a black clock on the table beside him; in glowing red numbers it told Klaus that it was nine o'clock sharp. Klaus was terribly late for the Institute, but he knew that Viola should have covered it for him with a supply teacher.

Klaus turned his attention back to the wolf sleeping on him. King had his strong arm locked around Klaus's stomach and King's leg was stretched over Klaus's legs too, holding him captive as if he'd run for it in the middle of the night. Klaus dazedly remembered that King snuck into this room and joined Klaus in bed. Klaus didn't bother making a big deal about it because he figured that King needed to be with someone after what he'd been through last night.

Klaus still didn't forget the look in King's eyes when he had slaughtered all those men in the alley. He had never seen anything quite like that before, not even from Hunter or Gabriel. King had a streak of malevolent in those eyes; a wickedness that had seen terrible things and had harboured them to remind King that nothing was pure in this world. Klaus felt like that once too when his father lived in the same house as him. But that changed when Klaus decided to live past his trauma and abuse. Although, King had decided something entirely different for himself.

Klaus turned onto his side and faced King who hadn't made a single impression that he was awake or even remotely aware of his surroundings. Klaus took his hand out from under the duvet and skimmed his fingers down King's cheek, that had a light morning stubble. Klaus's heart fluttered inside his chest and he gave into the deeper desire, that urged Klaus to stay in King's arms a little longer. Klaus harmlessly snuggled closer to his mate, inhaling that fiery scent that King adorned so effortlessly.

Suddenly, King's arm tightened around Klaus and he forcefully pressed their bodies together. "That really turned me on," muttered King.

Klaus jerked back. "You were awake," he was stunned.

"No," answered King lazily. "But I woke up to the feeling of my mate snuggling into my arms."

Klaus blushed, but didn't move away. "It was cold," he muttered though it was a lie; Klaus was hotter than the sun right now.

King's eyes were still closed but he was smiling. "I'm at your service then," he pulled Klaus closer and contently sighed as if he could fall back asleep under the sun, like a lazy house cat.

"Are you feeling better now?" Klaus asked after some time. King hummed and stayed tightly embraced to Klaus. "I hope you don't beat yourself up over what happened yesterday," he continued to his silent mate who was oddly a great listener. "Those men attacked us, so it wasn't your fault what actions you had to take to keep us safe." King didn't say anything; Klaus wasn't even sure if the man was awake or not. "My brothers did the same too," he confessed. "I grew up with a family that's used to bloodshed. So, don't think that I'll get worried-" King stiffened then, but Klaus still kept going- "I've bandaged many wounds for my siblings and I'll do them for you too," Klaus promised.