Chapter 21: Safe Haven

The sun rose and the new day had begun. Frankly, what happened last night didn't even feel real on this brilliant sunny morning. It appeared as if the warm golden rays of the sun washed over all the shadows diminishing them away, so they wouldn't lurk behind the dark corners of the world to haunt its victims.

Klaus awoke to the sound of muffled voices outside of the hospital room. He guessed that the voices belonged to the doctors and busy nurses that monitored the VIP wing. Klaus would've called one of them inside to ask of his family's whereabouts. But the heavy wolf that slept on top of him deprived him from the function of his limbs. Even if he tried to move, it'd be a mistake, because one of them would fall off the small bed.

Even on the tight bed, King slept on his stomach with his heavy arm draped over Klaus. His head tucked into the crook of Klaus's neck; he could feel King's tranquil breath tickle his nape. Klaus noticed King's stern expression, like he was worried in his deep slumber about something.

Klaus felt an urge to calm the frown-lines between King's dark brows. He reached his hand over and delicately caressed his forehead, moving aside his tousled hair too and eventually the frown dissipated.

Klaus smiled at his mate and remained immobile in his arms, so he wouldn't wake up disturbed. It was only then, when Klaus looked down and saw the glint on his finger of the sapphire wedding band. Instantly, his stomach did a flip, his heart knotted and his entire body stormed with butterflies. He couldn't explain the sensation, except that it was special to him. Klaus found out that King wanted to be with him forever and that he'd join the pack too.

Klaus looked down at the emerald wedding band around King's finger and smiled bashfully. However, when his eyes drifted from the finger over to his knuckles, that were badly bruised, his smile dropped. Greyish blue blotches tainted each knuckle and it was rimmed with a dingy purple then a faint yellow, that made it appear painful.

Klaus skimmed his fingertips over the raw skin and he winced from the wound, like it had inflicted him personally. Klaus wondered how King had gotten this wound? Had King gotten it before coming to the hospital when he went to see Robert or after? Klaus pondered. Klaus looked over to King whose eyes were closed and was still asleep unable to answer this question for him.

The night may have passed, but the memories were still fresh to him. The memory of seeing his father at the restaurant; realizing that he hadn't moved on from his mate's death and that Klaus hadn't moved on either. Both of them were stuck in that moment where they lost Rose Centauri. However, Klaus didn't feel remorse thinking about it anymore. Maybe it was because he had been blessed to meet their creator or that King was ready to kill Robert for him but hadn't. The last thing Klaus ever wanted was to make King kill someone for him. Klaus didn't want to ever burden King like that, so when King had left to kill Robert, Klaus still felt a pang of guilt for causing that incident.

However, all that was over now. There would be no debate or raising any questions about this any longer. Klaus wanted to move on for so long, he had patiently waited for his prayers to be answered. Nothing was greater than the satisfaction of them being answered by the goddess herself. Klaus really could move on now, he felt that in his heart and knew that his life would be different from this point on.

Klaus looked down at King who looked quite comfortable despite their small space. Last night, after everyone returned home, but King and Bone were relentless about staying with Klaus. Despite his efforts, Klaus couldn't convince the two to go home and get some proper rest and just meet him in the morning.

Klaus looked around the room and realized that Bone wasn't in the room. He was asleep on the couch just a couple of hours ago, but now, the pillow and blanket were neatly folded and put onto the side. Klaus suddenly remembered the time when King had gotten himself shot and they all stayed at the hospital then too. But this time, it was Klaus who was the patient and King stayed with him all night.