Chapter 10: Blood Labyrinth

After dinner, the Centauri pack wolves had returned to their cabins. King wasn't up for it, but Vincent and Ryder had offered that they were having game night at the Drakov's cabin. River had gone to bed already but Viola, Azura and Lupin were up for more fun. They had left to their cabin and rest of them decided to hang out in their rooms. Sabrina had returned late from a runway show and she had eaten dinner with her eyes barely open, she went to bed as soon as she was done, so did Hailey and Hunter.

King was in the kitchen with Klaus, as they both cleaned up the clutter after the rowdy dinner. King moved out of the way as Klaus singlehandedly swept the entire of the mess, not a single trace was left that an entire group had ate dinner. The countertops were sparkling and everything smelt of fresh summer lemons, with King who had wiped his hands after helping Klaus wash the remaining dishes. By the time, they were done, King eyed the ticking clock which told him that it was just past midnight. King should head out soon, if he wanted to execute his plan.

"You keep looking at the clock," said Klaus. King turned his head, his eyes linking with Klaus's inquisitive gaze. "Do you need to go somewhere?" he asked.

King leaned his back against the counter, a smile played on his lips. "I should head to my house, don't you think?" he retorted.

"Oh, I thought you could spend the night," said Klaus.

King was stunned. "You want me to stay here?" he bemused.

Klaus stared back blankly. "Is that a problem?" he asked. King didn't know how to tell Klaus how many scenarios were playing in his head. And it was a lot, even for a normal person. "We shared a bed before, right?" Klaus simply went back to wiping down the other counters.

King stifled his laugh. "Okay then," he crossed his arms. "Don't blame me later."

Klaus had finished taking out the trash, locked all the doors and closed the windows before they went up to his bedroom.

More than ever, King craved to sleep with Klaus; to simply share a bed and feel each other's warmth, but King was on a mission. So, there wasn't any peace for King tonight- even in his mate's warm bedroom and comforting arms.

King stripped out of the layers of clothes. Klaus had given him a pair of shorts to borrow, although King wasn't shy to sleep without anything on, but for Klaus's sake, he put them on before he got under the fluffy duvet, that he pulled above his bare torso. Klaus turned off the light, and in the dark as King laid back on his side, he heard Klaus's faint footsteps round the bed. The light from the moon slithered through the crevice between the curtains and King faintly traced Klaus's calm expression. Klaus had changed into a simple shirt and shorts as well before he came to the bed. Suddenly, a warm light flickered on and the moon itself was brimming with joy on the table near Klaus's head.

"Does it bother you?" asked Klaus softly.

King gazed at the moon lamp they bought at the museum with endearment. "No, it's nice, actually," he whispered back.

Klaus then snuggled into the duvet, only his head poked out and a smile played on his lips. "Nothing's better than getting into bed after a long day," he yawned.

King breathed in the soft fabric softener from the bedsheets, but it was Klaus's sweet cedar, pine scent that snuggled King into being tranquil and comfy. The easy breath of his mate was all King needed to know that this was truly an unexplainable phenomenon. For so many years, he slept alone in cages that smelt of blood, iron and grime. The cries of other hostages and fighters filled King's ears for many nights, the sounds of people getting beaten or raped or both was all King remembered. And after he had escaped, those memories filled the walls of his silent manor. Except now, laid on his side, he was resting and unguarded next to Klaus. A man who had nothing to do with King's past or pain.