Chapter Twenty-Five| Jamie

Clothes scatter across the floor as I try on multiple outfits and fling items of clothing I don't like below me. Tonight I have my first date with Lucas, and the thought becomes more nerve-racking by the minute. I nearly swooned when he confessed his feelings for me two days ago. I almost thought he was about to tell me he was staying with Victoria for a split second. My face still hurts from smiling too hard. I've dreamt of Lucas saying he loves me for months now. To have it come true is the best thing possibly could ask for.

We're taking it slow because we've been friends for a while and don't know how we'll work as a couple. If tonight goes well, he'll be calling his girlfriend in no time. I personally just want to be with him, so it's okay if he wants to take it slow.

"Are you getting ready for your date with Luke?" Sophie asks, picking up a couple of my blouses around her bed.

"Yeah, but I don't know what to wear because he didn't tell me where he's taking me."

It's Friday, so our leaving campus privileges begin, but I don't know if he'll take me off-campus. What is there to do on campus anyway?

"Well, there's a little movie theater two miles from here?" She states.

"Do you think he will take me there?"

I did see it a few times when driving back to campus with Kiera after the weekends. I don't want to watch a movie tonight because we did that before; I need tonight to be different than our regular hangouts. I hope Lucas will woo me like in romance films.

"I don't know, but wherever he takes what you're wearing is just fine."

I look in the mirror one more time at the maroon mock turtleneck and jeans. I paired them with black booties that are comfortable to walk in. After finishing my hair, a knock on the door catches my attention. He is here! God, why am I so nervous. It's just Lucas. Probably because you like him, my conscience reminds me.

"Hey," I say as I open the door. The curly hair boy grins, wearing a lovely beige sweater and black jeans, his hands rest in his front jean pockets. Lucas stays silent while staring at me. Do I look that bad? I clear my throat before saying, "let's go."

"Oh yeah, sorry," he chuckles, scratching the back of his head. We start to walk outside, and I wonder where we are going. It's chilly out, and the wind nips at my skin, maybe I should've worn a thicker coat.

"So, where are you taking me?" I ask after walking a while.

"It's a surprise, but do not worry, we're almost there."

"Ugh, I hate surprises all I know you could be leading me to a dark alley to murder me." I have no idea what I am saying. I guess it's the first date jitters are talking.

"Well, I'm not going to murder you." I just smiled. "Yet," he added, then I playfully hit his arm.

"Just kidding," he laughs, and he stops walking. "We're here."

I noticed that we are at a spot that looks similar to the blossom bridge, except it has a greenhouse. I think this is where the gardening club takes place; I wonder why he brought me here. Lucas takes my hand in his, and my face grows a massive grin. He leads us into the greenhouse where a couple of plant life sprouts in pots. A small light catches the corner of my eye as Lucas stops in the back of the greenhouse.

A black blanket lays on the ground with a woven basket and two fake lighted candles on opposite sides of the basket. Who knew Lucas could be so romantic. I'm honestly impressed, I was getting worried when we were walking across campus. For a second, I almost thought he was taking me to the cafe for a second.

"I hope you like it. It's too cold outside for a picnic. I thought the greenhouse is warm enough but it still feels like we're outside."

"It's perfect, Lucas," I gush.

Lucas takes a seat on the floor, and I join him.

"Let's eat, I'm hungry, but first did you make this food?"

"No, I got from one of the restaurants on campus. Why do you think I can't cook?"

"No, I think you would poison me," I joke.

"What is up with you thinking I'm trying to hurt you?" Lucas questioned.

"I don't know I'm weird." I shrug.

"You got that right," I gently hit him in his arm again.

"Not again with the abuse," he starts to laugh and I join him.

I like this. I love being with Luke. I seem to forget about everything else going on in my crazy head when I'm with him. It was weird at first because of how close we are, but once we just stop trying so hard and be ourselves, the date was fantastic. After eating and messing with each other, we lay down across the blanket and look up at the stars through the clear glass rooftop. My head rests on the side of Lucas's chest, and I enjoy the smell of his cologne. One of his fingers twirls one of my long curls.

"Jamie, I know I said we should take it slow, but after tonight I just want to call her my girlfriend."

"Hm, I don't know because I don't want to be tied down—"

"Oh, shut up and kiss me, you goofball." I giggle before reaching my face closer to his attaching our lips.

"I'd love to be your girlfriend," I say, breaking from the kiss and pecking his cheek.

"It's getting late, we better clean up before security finds us in here. I don't want you to get in trouble because of me."

I nod, and we pack everything up. Lucas holds my hand the entire way back to my dorm, and I'm astonished how such a simple act makes me so overjoyed.

"Thanks, I had an amazing time tonight. Didn't know you could be so romantic."

He flashes a smile. God, I love his smile. Lucas has two dimples that remind me of crescent moons indented on the side of his cheeks.

"Well, there's a lot of things you don't know about me," I chuckle.

I notice he is getting closer. Is he going to kiss me again? I sure hope so? His lips were moving closer, and I started to close my eyes. Right, when I feel his lip ring touch my mouth, my blood starts pulsing through my veins. His lips are soft and full. A slight taste of strawberries enriches my mouth as we deepen the kiss. We slowly pull away, pressing one more short kiss before stepping away from each other. I grin, biting my upper lip wanting to kiss him some more, but I don't want to get carried away on our first date.

"Um, goodnight. See you tomorrow, beautiful." After, he leaves and walks away without another word. I spend the rest of the night replaying our kisses in mind. God Lucas Cross, what are you doing to me?