Chapter Seven| Jamie

I finished eating rather quickly, and waiting for dessert was getting quite cumbersome. Jake and I talk a little while the adults discuss politics.

"Jamie, I just have to say I love this color on you, it makes your eyes pop."

Jake says pointing out my green blouse. Braden agrees and I grin. I look over at Lucas to see what he had to say but only frown lines and furrowed brows are on his face. It seems like he doesn't want to be here. Did I do something to upset him? It's the only explanation why he's been giving me such sour looks all night.

Braden tries out one of his pick-up lines on me but I turn him down.

"Bro just stop embarrassing yourself. Jamie is way out of your league," Jake tells him and winks at me.

I know he's just being nice to me but I swear it feels like he's flirting with me sometimes. I know it's crazy to think that because he's so in love with his girlfriend, every time we talk he brings her up.

Jake talks about his college life in New York, and I listen while I play footies with Lucas, I thought it would be fun to mess with him. He didn't seem bothered though. At least he isn't sulking anymore.

"Who wants dessert," Kiera announces a few minutes later and starts to get up. "No, let me please," I insist.

"Luke, why don't you go and help her," Lucas's mom, Lilian demands. He moves from his seat and follows me to the kitchen. Since we're alone, might as well ask him what's bothering him.

"Do you usually act like this during dinner parties?" I whisper so the others don't hear us.

"Like what?"

"Like a bitter old man. You've been frowning all night."

"Well, sorry I don't like seeing you throw yourself at Jake all night," He snaps.

"What! We're just talking."

"Look I don't know how far you have your head  up your ass, but he's not interested!"

Wow didn't know he could get that angry or be so rude. I thought I was finally getting along with everyone and finally felt accepted, but I guess I was wrong.

"What is taking you kids so long." I completely forgot why we are here. I pick up the chocolate cake and leave the kitchen.

"Finally, I was getting hungry again," Braden claims. I ask Jake to switch seats with a lie about a draft coming from over my seat. I didn't want to sit next to Lucas anymore.

Lucas came back with a melancholy look on his face and the pie moments after. Why is he upset? I should be after what he said to me? God, he's such an asshole.

For the rest of the dinner, I keep to myself, and he did the same. What Lucas said to me, it hurt. I couldn't help but think if he was right. Was I making a fool out of myself in front of Jake? Still, even if I was he could've handled it better. Ugh, I usually don't care what people think or say about me, so why am I letting a stupid teenage boy get to me?

***

The dinner party was four nights ago, and I haven't tried to talk to Lucas. I avoided him for the rest of the week. I rather not speak to him about what happened.

Tomorrow is my first day at St. Philips, and I am not too thrilled about it. I don't want to deal with Lucas; I already have a new school on my plate. I don't need boy troubles as well.

Sophie and Micah are always together now, so I can't tell her what happened or discuss how I feel about it when one of Lucas's best friends is around. It's 9 pm now, and I'm packing for tomorrow. Most of my essentials are still packed, so it takes me about twenty minutes to finish. Kiera hands me my school uniform and tells me that I can start in year 12. Since my advanced classes from my last school gave me enough credits I don't have to redo 11th grade. Sadly that means Maria and I graduations are months apart and I might start college before her too.