Twenty-Nine| Jamie

Waking up early, I grin actually happy going to school this early for once. Today is graduation and I'm glad that I have friends here to spend it with. When I came here in April I was worried I'd make no friends and be an outcast. Maria was always the sociable one and her friends became my acquaintances. Even back in the first grade, she was the one who came up to me, which I'm glad she did. Otherwise I probably wouldn't have any friends.

Going to a new school across the world was already hard but without my best friend made it ten times more difficult. Luckily Sophie was kind enough to be my friend, however I didn't expect Lucas and I to become so close. My whole experience here changed once we were friends. The rumors sucked but he helped me through them. By the time we started dating it felt like none of things people said affected me anymore. I finally got what I wanted, Lucas. So why should I care if they were calling me a slut. I knew I wasn't, all my friends knew it too.

The time here has been the best and the worst time of my life. I cherish every moment I have with my new friendships but I won't miss my school experience nor my fellow classmates.

Getting ready for the ceremony, I brush my hair into a ponytail so my cap can fit on my head. I have so much hair it won't stay on if I leave it down. After I put on some makeup since we'll be taking pictures later. My parents are coming and we're having lunch together before I spend the rest of the day with my friends.

Sophie and I finished packing all our stuff and they're sitting in the back of her car. It's crazy to think that this is the last time in our dorm room together. I place the last of my makeup in my purse and call out for Sophie. We're going to be late if she doesn't come out of the bathroom now.

"Oh you look so pretty," Sophie gushes, coming out in her red graduation gown.

I grin telling her the same. We take a moment looking around the dorm and chat about how we're going to make our future dreams come true. After we lock arms and head to our graduation ceremony and take our seats. I'm closer to the front while Sophie is all the way in the back.

Kiera comes out and says a few words about our class, before the valedictorian speech. All our friends shout and cheer when Sophie comes up on stage. I'm so proud of her, she deserves to be up there. When she wasn't with Micah that girl would be studying like crazy. We wouldn't have a test yet she would study. She made a deal with her parents that if she makes perfect marks they let her go to fashion school. They think it's pointless because of how smart she is, she could be an engineer or business woman. I think it's perfect, she's made me a couple of skirts and dresses for some of my dates with Lucas, all spectacular. She has a true talent and maybe one day she'll be the next CoCo Chanel or Vera Wang.

Sophie finishes her speech with, "we're all going to bigger and better things I know it, but I'll always cherish the friendships and memories of my time in high school. High school isn't like the movies where everyone has a clear future and that's okay. If you don't know what you're doing after this that's okay. We're all going to figure out, just keep living the life you want to live and the pieces will follow. I'm Sophie Yang, your class valedictorian, thank you."

Everyone claps and stands up before Kiera comes back to the stage and begins calling everyone's name.

"Jamie Hart!" I smile as she moves my tassel and hands me my diploma before she hugs me.

"I'm so proud of you, Jamie." I grin knowing she's being a hundred percent genuine.

After the last student is called the entire class gets up and waits for Kiera's cue.

"I'm glad to announce the class of 2012!"

We all cheer and throw up our caps. I frantically look around trying to find Lucas, my smile grows wide when we lock eyes. I run towards him and he wraps his arms around me picking me up and spinning me around. Our lips attached for a sweet and passionate kiss.

***

I met my parents at a fancy restaurant I've never even heard of. I thought about bringing Lucas but I didn't want him to also suffer this excruciating lunch. They would make up a reason why I shouldn't be with him and I'm not in the mood to hear.

My mother grins pulling me into a hug, I can smell her Elizabeth Taylor perfume she loves so much. My father smiles, giving me a quick embrace too before we sit down. After our food arrives, I quickly finish my soup wanting this meal to be over. I tell my parents my summer plans and some of my stories here since they asked. The check comes and my father pays before saying, "sorry we couldn't visit more but we're so proud of you Jamie."

I just roll my eyes not wanting to hear the bullshit spew from their mouth.

"Thanks," I mutter.

"I think sending you to live with Kiera was good for you. You seem focused and much more happy," my mother adds.

"You think Kiera is the cause for my happiness because she isn't. Kiera barely took care of me, and was no better than you two. The first month was complete shit, I was bullied and missed Maria. It didn't get better until I met Lucas. My friends are why I'm happy for once. They see me for me and not for who they want to see," I rant getting up from the table. My parents call after me but I ignore them and make my way back to the school. Hopefully Sophie can give me a ride home.

***

God, it feels amazing not having to be in high school anymore. I applied for NYU and hope I get in for the fall semester. The colleges I applied to are just for safety but I don't want to go to them. I applied to a few universities in Australia if I don't get into NYU because then at least I'll be close to Lucas. Sophie also applies to schools in New York since she wants to be a fashion designer.

Sophie, Maria, and I planned to travel across the US before we start school. Maria is coming in a few weeks so that'll be great. Micah is trying to convince his parents if we can use their beach house for a month. The boys want to have some down time before they start writing their first album. Their EP came out a couple weeks ago and they're fan base has grown exponentially since then. I tell them they should do some videos on YouTube while they have this attention on them.

"This is amazing now; we have the whole summer to explore the world as we planned." Sophie smiles.

We're in front of the school signing a couple of our classmates yearbooks before we finally leave campus. Luckily the restaurant my parents took me was only a mile from here so I walked back and told Sophie everything. I hate how they think they did something right for once. I made a couple mistakes and they think I'm a broken watch that needs fixing. Them spending me has made me happy but I'm still the same girl they put on that plane almost nine months ago. It's annoying how my parents are trying to claim they're the reason for my happiness, knowing good and well they're the cause of taking away from me in the first place.

"Hey, what about me? I have been your friend for eight months now," Rider said, leaning his elbow on my shoulder.

"Well, you only get to join us if you help with travel money," I tell him.

"I could give you the money right now." He smirks. Rider has saved over ten grand over the years because he knew he wanted to travel after high school. He is willing to spend a little more than he intended too because he would rather travel with us than alone. Overjoyed, I jump up and hug him. That's amazing. We can visit more places and go to Mexico. We made a plan to leave in the beginning of January.

"Great, then it's on."

"What's on," Lucas asks, walking towards us.

"We are going to travel across America in January," I tell him before wrapping my arms around his torso.

"Jamie, can I speak to you alone?"

I nod, following him to a tree.

"Luke, what's wrong, you seem upset?"

"I just don't like you hanging out with him that's all."

He said, referring to Rider. Ever since I told him Rider and I are friends, Lucas has been extremely jealous and protective. It was cute how he thought Rider was a bad guy that wants to get in my pants.

"I told you Rider and I are just friends. Don't worry my heart belongs to you." I place a soft kiss to his cheek.

"Alright, but just be careful when traveling the world without me."

I nod with a smile, and we walk to his car and head to Mario's to meet the guys.