Chapter Ten| Lucas

Getting dressed, I head to my first period, which was art appreciation. Jamie sits in the back by herself, so I head over to where she was. It's her first day in actual classes, and she had to do remedial classes until she got up with our year. The school only makes international transfer students do it for a smooth learning transition.

"Hey, why are you sitting alone?" I admire her curls flowing down her neck, reaching her shoulders. She typically has her hair up most of the time, but I honestly love it down. I can smell her perfume from here, vanilla. For the past month, I've noticed she wears fruit and sweet-smelling fragrances most of the time, which I don't mind at all.

"I didn't choose to. I tried to sit at the other tables, but they said they were saving a seat." People here are assholes. Everyone who's in this class is already here. I never understand wanting to exclude the new kid.

"Never did ask, how are you doing going to school here?" I ask her. "Well, I didn't even go to my classes yesterday because I couldn't handle all the rumors said about me."

"Rumors already, they usually don't start that until later."

"Thanks makes me feel so special," She frowns.

I didn't mean to make her feel worse; I wish people could see the amazing girl in front of me. They wouldn't believe any of the rumors spreading around. She's the kindest person I've met. Two weeks ago, she comforted me, and I didn't pull away. That's progress.

A month ago, I wasn't able to be vulnerable in front of anyone. Yes, my mates know everything that happened, but I've never shed tears in front of them. They already think I'm a broken clock. However, with Jamie, it's easier for some reason. I don't know if it's because she doesn't know the whole truth or that we have a connection. Since the first day I met her, there was something familiar, and I still can't put my finger on it.

"Look, Jamie, don't worry about them. They want to break down every new kid because it gets them something to do with their stupid ass lives."

She giggled, and it was the cutest thing. I find her laugh adorable; it's always so warm to listen to.

"Luke, thanks. I don't know how I survived without you or Sophie here to help through this." She tells me.

"No problem."

After, our art appreciation teacher comes and begins talking about a project that we can work on with partners. My partner and I will have to make something artistic that represents one another. We'll have to spend time with each other to know another better. For the next three weeks, my partner and I will bond to do that. Then last week, in class, we will work on our art project. It can be anything as long as it is creative and represents my partner. We have to also do a report on an artist from one of the time periods we've covered. I think this is a useless project, but if I ask Jamie to be my partner, we can at least hang out.

"Jamie, do want to be partners on this project."

"I thought you never ask," she grins, batting her lashes like a cartoon character.

Our teacher gives her lecture on the romantic period's art, but I zone out looking at Jamie. She doodles in her sketchbook, not paying attention to any of her surroundings. A beautiful rose comes into form, and I didn't know she was a talented artist until now. She sings fantastic too; I asked her if she wanted to make music the other day, but she says acting is the plan. Jamie did plays at her previous school but never got to be the lead. I know our drama department isn't the best, but she might shine here. Our theater director was a big-time star in Australia in the 90s but retired after his wife died. He might help her out if she's serious about it. Maybe I should tell her; it might make her feel better about going here. The bell rings, bringing my attention back to reality, and I pack up my things.

"Jamie, I have something to tell you." I try to catch up with her.

"Yeah, what do you want to tell me, Lucas?" I was about to speak until someone interrupts.

"Hey Jamie, can you come here?"

It was Rider Brown. How does he know Jamie, and what does he want from her?

"Lucas, can we talk later? How about you come to my dorm later, and he can "bond.'" She tries to imitate our art teacher.

"That's fine. See you later." She waves goodbye and walks towards Rider.

I start to think. I did hear a rumor saying a new girl is dating Rider. If so, why Rider has no one told her he is a massive player that it's disgusting. He's such a sleaze, the number of girls he sleeps with. I'm surprised he hasn't caught anything or got a girl pregnant yet. We used to be friends back in the 6th and 7th year, but summer before the 8th year he hooked up with a girl older than us. He thought he was better than me for having sex and his arrogance is what caused us to drift. I didn't like who he was turning into. He would also steal every girl I had any interest in; I'm sure he slept with Victoria.

Now, he's trying to get Jamie nothing is different. I try to forget Jamie and Rider being together and go to my next class.

***
I walk to Jamie's dorm room to see if I can finally talk to her now when I knock on the door, Sophie answers.

"Hey, is Jamie here? I need to talk to her."

"Yeah, she's just in the bathroom. I have to go. Do you know where Micah is?" She asks.

"He's in our dorm room." She nods and leaves.
I sit on the empty bed until she gets out.

My eyes wander around the lavender room with rock and alternative band posters on each wall. There's a picture of Jamie and Sophie at the pub where the band performed a few weeks back, pinned to a bulletin board. A black leather journal on the foot of the bed catches my eye. Jamie is always writing in it, and it takes everything in me to not read it. When she steps out of the bathroom, she's in a towel and her hair soaked. The cloth is wrapped low around her chest, exposing too much cleavage and the water glistening down on her brown skin. I gulped, trying to compose myself.

"Shit, you scared me. What are you doing here?"

"You said we could talk later in your dorm," I said, looking at the floor, trying not to look at her.

"Oh, right. Sorry, I forgot. Let me get some clothes on. Be right back."

She returns to the bathroom to change. I place a pillow over my crotch. I'd be lying to myself if I said Jamie wasn't attractive, but we're just friends. Still, that doesn't stop my body from reacting to hot girls only wearing bath towels.

"Okay, so what did you want to talk about?"
She says as she sits next to me. Her damp hair ties up into a messy loose bun. The dark eye shadow removed from her eyes. Jamie's irises look brighter and vibrant, with no makeup. Jamie's skin is nearly perfect, so I didn't understand why she wore so much makeup if she went out like this she'd still beat all the girls who bully her.

"Are you dating Rider?" I originally wanted to tell her about the acting director, but this weighs more. She needs to know, Rider Brown can't be trusted.

"No, where you'd hear that?"

"Yesterday from some girl, she didn't give any names, though."

"Well, we're just friends."

"Still, I think you should stay away from him. He's trying to get in your panties."

"Look, I don't need you telling me what to do. And please don't ever bring up my panties again." Her brows furrow and she gets up, puffing our air.

"But Rider is a bad guy. He'll hurt you."

I want to tell her my story about Victoria because maybe she'll listen, but I'm not ready yet. After I tell her, she'll look at me differently. My friends sure did. They always try to fix me, but Jamie doesn't. She knows something is wrong inside me, but she never pushes me, and it's because she doesn't know everything that happened. If I tell her now, Jamie might try because she thinks she knows best now, grasping my situation.

"Thanks for the concern, but I don't need it. I'm not stupid, Lucas. I can handle myself."

She opens her door, pointing for me to get out. If life were a cartoon, Jamie would have the fuming squiggly lines above her head. I didn't mean to upset her, but I don't want her to get her heart stomped on, especially by Rider. Sighing, I get up from her bed and leave. Hopefully, she'll listen to me once she cools off.