Chapter Fifteen| Jamie

"Okay, do you know what you're doing for the art project?" He asks writing something down in the notebook.

"Yes, why want to steal my idea?"

I'm almost done with my I just have to paint it. It started as a sketch in my journal but I recreated it on a canvas and now I'm going to paint later when Lucas isn't around. I want it to be a surprise for him.

We did the report first knowing it was twenty percent of the project grade. We chose to do the romantic period the art of that time just spoke to both of us the most. It took a week but now we get to do the more fun side of this assignment.

"No, I just wanted to know if I could video you for my project." I didn't even think a video was allowed. He did talk to Mrs. Rogers after class, maybe she okayed the idea.

"What like now? How would the video represent me?"

I'm skeptical because we will be presenting in front of the entire class and I don't want people hating me more than they already do. I know I shouldn't care but it gets to me sometimes, knowing my classmates don't like me.

"Well, I would video you doing things you like stuff that truly shows who you are." I hesitate to the idea but agree since he needs a grade for the project.

"Alright, how about I show you where my favorite place is. Do you have your camera?" He nods. "Let's get to it then."

I lead him through the campus with a smile on my face, skipping occasionally. Lucas takes a video and I point to some of my favorite places on campus. I brush past the bushes Lucas showed me my first week here. A smile creeps up on my face seeing the beautiful blossom tree. Even when wilting it's marvelous. The wind is calm and there's no toxic smell. Most places on campus have an odd odor but not here, everything looks and smells divine.

"Your favorite place is the green area," Lucas comments.

"Yes, but I had decided to call it blossom bridge if that alright since you are the one who found this place before me."

"I love that name," then he turns to me.

"Hey Luke, can you tell me how you found this place."

His eyes move around frantically, avoiding eye contact. I can sense he doesn't want to explain the back story. He takes a seat on the bench by the little pond and finally looks me in the eyes.

"I used to get bullied," he sighs.

"By who? Do I know them?" I ask indignantly.

"Don't worry about them; they stopped after Victoria came into my life."

One day, Lucas was hanging out with the Micah, and this guy a year older came up to them and started bullying Micah about his robots. Lucas got angry and told him to bug off, but then he turned on him instead. Lucas got pissed about what the guy said and ended up punching him. I was shocked he punched someone; he's such a saint. Whatever that dude said must have hit a nerve.

The bullying only got worse because the guy's buddies started ganging up on Lucas, but he made a run for it. When they were getting close He hid in some bushes until they left.

"Those bushes I was hiding behind lead to this place."

"I still can't believe you'd punched a guy," I say full of disbelief.

"It felt good too. That guy was so full of shit,"
he chuckles.

"Good thing you did I love coming to this place," I spin around.

The cold weather is causing the tree's pink blossoms to fall but the place is still the prettiest place on campus. I enjoyed how the pink stubs scatter across the emerald grass its a lovely combination. I sit on the ground inhaling the fresh air.

"Yeah, no else knows about this place except us. Well, I told the guys about it, but I haven't shown them."

"Why not they're your best friends?" I ask looking at him as he sits down with me.

"I don't know. Maybe I liked having this place by myself, but having you here makes it even better."

I smile, I'm glad we're the only ones to know about this place. I wonder why he showed it to me on my first day here. We weren't really friends, yet he showed me his most sacred place. I appreciate he's opening up to me every day but I know there's so much more buried beneath his crack shell.

We start to head back after a few drops of rain trickle down from above. I burst out laughing as we run through the rain into the student lounge completely soaked. Lucas and I played cards until the rain let up and went back to our dorms.

*****
This is halfway through the story. How are you liking it so far. Also things start to heat up from here.