Chapter Sixteen| Lucas

I change into my uniform and fix the curly mess on my head. I was finishing up when my phone rang. Answering without looking at the caller ID, I speak.

"Hello?"

"Is the Lucas Cross?"

"Yes, that's me. Who's is this?"

"We at Eurova Records are glad to inform your band The Walking Rejects are finalists in our competition. We will email you the details about the finals today." Oh my fucking God!

"Oh, thank you so much!" I yell before the woman chuckles and hangs up.

"Cameron! Micah!" I call them coming from the bathroom. I can barely contain my excitement.

"What?" Micah asks with a curious brow.

"We're a finalist in the band competition!"

"Holy shit!"

"Hell yeah!" Cameron shouts, grabbing his phone to call Austin about the news.

I text Jamie since she's the reason we even got to do the competition. She immediately calls me and we talk about how we are going to celebrate.

***

When I walk into our art class, Mrs. Rogers says who was presenting today. Jamie and I would have to go today, but we were the last ones. "Miss Jamie Hart, please present to the class what you found out about Lucas Cross."

"Well, I decide to paint a picture of what I thought of Lucas," she turned her painting towards the class. Wow, I never knew that Jamie could paint too.

"This is Lucas playing his guitar, which shows his musical side. You see him in the forest area because it's his favorite place he likes to go. Here's a dog beside him is because that's his favorite animal, but what I found out Lucas Cross is even under his gorgeous smile and happy attitude, I can tell he is whole inside. A part of him is missing. That's why there's a broken heart on his sleeves."

"Wow, this is beautiful, miss Hart. You have true talent," Mrs. Rogers expresses, and it's true Jamie did have a fantastic talent.

I'm slightly annoyed that she announced it to the whole class, but everything Jamie said about me is true. I'm fragmented pieces scattered across the table, but I feel like I'm coming together again. And all because of her.

"Okay, Mr. Cross, show us who the real Jamie Hart is."

I got up and put the video I put together that represents her. The first thing you saw was Jamie spinning around with captions: Jamie's favorite place Blossom Bridge, then I got a video of her eating her favorite pizza, but she didn't like it when I filmed her, so she hit me. Every in the class giggles when they hear me groan in pain in the video.

Throughout the video, I showed how she could be funny, talented, creative, melancholy, irritable, brilliant, and charming. All things that make her the Jamie I know, and why anyone would be stupid enough not to be friends with her. I also noticed that Jamie was laughing through the whole video, and Mrs. Rogers crying. In the end, I put in captions: This is Jamie Bea Hart, and she's my best friend.

"Well done, Lucas, that was beautiful," Mrs. Roger sobs, wiping a tear. The bell rings, and I pick up my things while Jamie waits at the door.

She's reserved the whole day, and I don't know what's she's thinking. I'm assuming it's because of the video, but I don't know why. I thought she enjoyed it. I walk her back to her dorm, and she finally speaks to me.

"Thanks for walking me to my dorm," She mutters, looking up at me with her stunning hazel eyes. They have a slight dim to them. Is she mad at me?

"No problem, Jamie," I say.