Snape Snaps

A/N: So uh hi this mmmight b a lil much i uh guess i sorta spilled my own feelings into this haha um im (kinda) sorry bout that ummmm e-enjoy :P ,:D

"P-Professor?" I stutter. "Why?" He repeats. "Why are we friends? Why do you talk to me everyday? Why are you so happy to be in my presence?! WHY-" He takes a deep breath, leans back in his chair, and slides a near quivering hand gently down his face, "Why don't you hate me?"

At this point, I don't know if I should slap him or hug him.

I hop off the chair, my face keeping a Snape-like expression, I walk 'round the desk towards Snape, whose gaze follows mine, and I punch his arm. My face remains the same, as I then lean forward and reach my arms around his neck, giving him a warm hug. For a few moments, he doesn't seem to know what to do. He slowly brings his arms around me, tightening the hug lightly.

As we pull back, I see Snape quickly turn his head and wipe something off his face...a tear? "Forgive me Professor, but you're an idiot." I say, placing my hand on the shoulder I just punched. I suddenly realize I've never actually hugged him before, and my face feels warm. I move back to my chair and lean on the back of it.

Snape clears his throat, "Miss- uh, (Y/n), you are a truly remarkable person. Befriending someone like me isn't necessarily something to be proud of, and I can hardly imagine other students don't bully you because of it. So what made you believe this was ever a good idea?"

I look at him dead in the eyes and think about punching him again. I think he sees that intention in my face as he shuffles in his seat. I relax my face, "You are a remarkable person too." I say, keeping eye contact, knowing full-well I'm probably red as a tomato, "I don't know what it is but I can tell there's a part of you you don't want anyone to see. Not even me. I became your friend to make you see you don't need to hide yourself. I hate walking around Hogwarts all day, seeing countless smiling faces, only to end it with you in Potions. There has never been a day I come to this room and see you smiling, or even have a single spark of joy in your eyes. Then one day in my 3rd year, I come here, and something clicks." Snape is wide-eyed, silent and still, trying to keep from showing any emotion, "I realized you probably never look happy because you never have a reason to." I finally break eye contact and look down at my shoes, completely flushed, "You never want to feel happy because you think it'll only cause more pain. Something- or someone- must have hurt you so bad that you just shut down. So from that day, I made it my mission to bring you that small spark of joy everyday. Even if it kills me." I look up at Snape again, who's looking down at his desk, where a little puddle is forming.

I reach over his desk, and place a hand on his, "I don't need to know what happened to you. If you ever want to tell me, you can, but I don't need to hear about what broke you. In fact I don't care. It doesn't matter. What matters is that I'm putting you back together, piece by piece."

Snape takes his free hand and wipes his face, and steadies himself, "Why do you care so much?" I release his hand and stand firmly, "Because I'm the same. I may seem like I'm always happy, but I just spend my days making other people happy so they never have to feel like me." It was at this point, Professor Snape got up from his desk, walked up to me, dropped to one knee and pulled me in for a second, heartwarming embrace.

"You are the most amazing witch I've ever known." He muttered in my ear. I just smirk, thinking how I definitely accomplished my mission today.

We both let go, and faster than expected the Professor reverts back to his professional demeanor, as if none of this happened. Damn he's good.

In proper Snape fashion, he goes back to organizing, and explains that my first class will be starting soon. "You should probably go...(Y/n). And, you can call me Severus if you like. Outside of class that is." I stare in amazed amusement, "Alright, bye...Severus."