Red Smoke

I awoke and found myself in the Hospital Wing. I look around sleepily and see a man in all black sitting on the bed next to me talking to a woman in maroon and white. I shake my head trying to wake myself up, and I remember something, "Lily?" I say, causing the man and woman to stop talking and look at me.

"What did you say?" The man asked, surprised, "I heard someone yell Lily. Who's Lily?" The man looks confused and cautious. "No one said that. You must have imagined it. Or dreamt it. Could've been the Sleeping Spell I put on you." "Sleeping Spell?" I question, slightly peeved. "Yes I-I thought it would be easier to bring you here if you were unconscious." The man seems sad and frightened, and again, very cautious. "What happened?" I ask pleadingly. "Someone used the Memory Charm on you. I need to learn what you've lost and what you've retained." He said hurriedly.

"Well, I know where I am, Hogwarts, specifically the Hospital Wing, and I know who I am, (Y/n) (Y/l/n), Gryffindor muggle-born. I know Dumbledore is the Headmaster...but I...I can't seem to recall much else." I say, starting to realize how much I don't know.

"So, you don't remember me? At all? Or her?" He says, pointing to the woman in maroon and white. I look back and forth between the two of them, "No. I don't remember anyone." The man sighs, almost growling, "It seems, in an attempt to make you forget...certain feelings towards someone, she made you forget about people in general."

I start getting angry, wanting to understand what's going on, "Who's she? And who are you?" The man's face scrunches up at those words, as if hearing them made him uneasy, even sad. He clears his throat, "I am Professor Snape, I teach Potions." He points at the woman, "This, is Madam Pomfrey. She's in charge of this room." I nod and smile.

Just then, the door opens, and in comes Professor Dumbledore. "Headmaster." Snape says, standing straight. "Severus, a word please." Snape follows him into the corridor. As they leave the room, Pomfrey comes up to me.

"I've never seen him so concerned, so determined, for anyone. He must care for you a great deal." She says, smiling. "Really? I wish I knew why." I reply, looking longingly at the doorway.

In The Corridor...

"Headmaster." Severus started, "It was Dolores. She-" "I know, Severus, I know. Unfortunately there is nothing I can do against her." Dumbledore uttered, "But there may be something I can do to help Miss (Y/l/n)." Severus lit up, "Sir, I would be ever so grateful."

"I understand you care about her, more than most?" Dumbledore questioned, almost smirking. "Well, yes. She's my friend, Albus." Severus replies. Dumbledore releases a small chuckle, "Right. Of course."

They hear multiple quick footsteps. They look at the other end of the corridor to see four students marching towards them.

Back in the Hospital Wing...

"If I'm being honest, Miss (Y/l/n), I don't know what can be done to get your memory back." Madam Pomfrey explains. Once again, the door shoots open, and following Dumbledore and Snape, are four Gryffindor students.

Three boys and a girl. The girl, long wavy brown hair, speaks up first, "(Y/n)!" The girl runs to me and hugs me. I push her off, "Do I know you?" She looks saddened, about to cry. She looks up at Madam Pomfrey, "Unfortunately, all she remembers at the moment is her name, house, blood status, and Hogwarts itself, including Dumbledore. She doesn't know anyone or anything else."

The ginger boy speaks now, "So, you don't know us? At all? Bloody hell." I look at each of them, scanning them, trying to find anything I could possibly recognize. The girl, I see her wand, a book in her hand...nothing. I look back at the ginger boy, he's kind of tall, has freckles...still nothing. I see a shorter, black haired boy with glasses and a peculiar lighting bolt shaped scar on his forehead. I feel...something...but it's not enough. Lastly, I look at a fairly tall, curly black haired boy, who seems to be tearing up, and blushes and looks away shyly when he realizes I'm staring.

"N-Neville?" I say, rubbing my head. The others turn to him, he looks up and wipes his tears, "(Y/n)? You...do you remember me?" I try hard to think, "Neville...I remember that name. That's all though." I blush seeing his nervousness.

Snape glares at Neville, as though he's jealous.

Pomfrey walks up to Snape and Dumbledore, "Albus, Severus, perhaps she should be taken to St. Mun-" "No!" Snape shouts, louder than he should've. Everyone in the room looks at him, shocked, especially me. He looks at me and turns pale.

"Forgive me. I just...I want to do all I can before resorting to such measures." Snape reverts to his professional appearance. Dumbledore and Pomfrey look at each other, and try not to laugh.

The brown haired girl speaks again, "Professor, I've researched all sorts of things on Memory Charms, and the only way I've heard to possibly reverse an improperly cast one, is..." She stops, looks as if saying it is too hard. "Is what? What it is? Tell me please...um..." I plead, trying to think of her name, "Hermione. My name is Hermione, (Y/n)."

"Miss Granger, I know what needs to be done." Snape says, sounding drained. "Tell me! What needs to happen to get my memory back?" I beg. "I don't know if we should. Albus?" He continues. "Severus, I can't make this decision." Dumbledore replies. "Someone tell me!" I yell. "Torture." Someone finally says.

Everyone looks at the one who spoke, horrified. It was Neville. "The only known way to reverse a messed up Memory Charm is through torture."