Chapter 6

Severine woke to the feel of something cold against his cheek. At first he thought he had drooled on the pillow but when he opened his eyes he saw his hand under him. Sitting up he smiled down at the ring that shone on it, he still couldn't believe that Marcus had proposed to him and meant it. He shook his head in bewilderment and immediately regretted it, shaking it had set off a hangover headache. He stood to go get some ibuprofen, glancing at the alarm clock on the nightstand to check the time, he couldn't help the smile that spread across his face. Marcus had already left some by the clock along with a glass of water and a note that he was in the kitchen if Severine woke and didn't find him in bed. After taking the pills and drinking the whole glass of water he looked down to see what he was wearing. He didn't remember putting on pajamas or if the girls had stayed all night and didn't want to go out to the kitchen in something that would set their imaginations running wild. He blushed at the thought, there may have been some things he didn't remember from last night but Marcus would never have taken advantage of him in such a drunken state. He was wearing sleep pants and his favorite hoodie or Marcus's, satisfied he headed for the kitchen. When he opened the door he met Nora.

"Mornin," she mumbled, while rubbing her temples.

"Morning. I'm sorry I fell on you last night. I didn't mean to," he said quickly. He remembered that detail with perfect clarity.

She smiled, "I don't remember you falling on me but it's okay, it's not like you meant to. We were both pretty trashed." She glanced up and down the hallway then held out her hand. "Let me see that ring so I can oogle over it properly before the other two make fun of me."

He blushed and held out his hand to her. She took it, turning it this way and that so she could see the ring from all angles. He watched admiring it as it shone in the light. Out of all the metals, gunmetal was his favorite. He vaguely remembered telling Marcus that once not long after they had met, it made him happy that he had remembered such a small thing.

Nora let go of his hand, "Well he didn't go to Jared's but he did good. Better than I thought he would, you have the better fashion sense out of the two of you."

"Thanks I think. I take it Zandra is already up too?" he asked. When she nodded her head he continued. "Let's get to the kitchen then before they make a mess of it."

When they reached the end of the hall he was surprised to see Marcus and Zandra in the kitchen cooking side by side. He had figured Marcus would be cooking and Zandra would be sitting at the island or table silently watching him like she often did. He made a mental note to ask Marcus if anything had happened with them last night after they had put him and Nora to bed. Grabbing two bottles of water from the fridge for himself and Nora they sat at the table.

Marcus turned around from the stove and gave them a smile, "Mornin drunk and drunker. How are your heads?"

"Would have been a lot worse if you hadn't put out ibuprofen and water for me so thanks," Severine said, smiling.

Nora nodded her agreement, "Yeah thanks for getting me some too."

"Actually, Zandra got you yours on her own," Marcus said.

"Oh," Nora said looking at Zandra, "thanks. It helped a lot."

Zandra nodded then turned back around quickly but not before he saw her cheeks redden.

"So what's for breakfast?" he asked. He could smell toast and something else, he couldn't make out what it was but it was making his stomach feel slightly queasy.

"Zandra and I are having omelets. From the looks on your faces, you and Nora are going to be having plain toast or possibly saltine crackers," Marcus replied.