Chapter 13

Severine felt a warmth above his knee and looked down to see Marcus's hand resting lightly there. His mouth twitched in the imitation of a smile but it didn't stick around long, looking back out the window he heard Marcus sigh.

"We...you...don't have to do this Sev. We can turn around and go home."

He shook his head but didn't look away from the window, "We already told Jana we would be there."

"Jana will understand. If you don't want to do this I will turn around right now," Marcus said.

They were in the middle of the highway but he wouldn't put it past Marcus to literally turn around right where they were if he asked him too. He shook his head again and looked towards Marcus. He was focused on the road, one hand resting at the top of the steering wheel while his other still rested above his knee. Marcus looked over and their eyes locked.

"It is your choice Sev, do we keep going or do we turn around?"

He stared into Marcus's eyes a moment more before looking away and sighing. "We keep going. I think you are right and I need to do this."

**********************************

Severine's shoulder brushed against Marcus's as they made their way to the cellar of the agency. He still couldn't figure out how he had let Marcus talk him into doing this, the thought immediately made him feel guilty. Marcus had merely suggested the meeting and given him several chances to back out, he had chosen to go through with it.

"Are you okay?" Marcus asked.

He kept looking straight ahead and nodded. The guard at the end of the hall looked up lazily at the sound of their footsteps. They handed her their visitor slips, she studied the slips for a moment then motioned for them to follow. The guard opened the door to the side room, he stopped outside the threshold. He could feel Marcus's eyes on him but still wouldn't look at him. He heard him whisper sometime to the guard, she nodded then went back to her desk.

"Sev, he can't touch you in here, there's bullet proof glass between you and other safety measures. Even if he tries I won't let him and the guards would be there in a moment too. He might say nasty things but he can't physically touch you. You can do this. I'll be right beside you," Marcus said soothingly.

"I...don't think you should go in," he said.

Marcus stiffened beside him, "I don't want you to be alone with him."

"I don't want to either but he's not going to talk to me if you are in there too," he replied, finally looking at him.

He could see Marcus warring with the decision. He didn't want to be alone with his father, bullet proof glass between them or not, but he knew his father and knew that he was right. If Marcus was in the room his father wasn't going to say anything besides snide remarks about him trying to get under his skin, which wouldn't take long.

"Fine, I'll wait right outside the door then. It's basically soundproof though so if you need anything use the bracelet. Do it once if you need encouragement and twice if you need me to come in."

He agreed then Marcus went to get the guard again, this time when she opened the door he went in. He could feel Marcus's eyes on his back but he didn't dare turn around to look or he would lose his courage. He jumped when the door shut behind him then mentally shook himself. He could do this. He sat in the chair anxiously waiting for his father to be ushered in, he let his mind wander to everything he wanted to say to him. When the door on the other side of the glass opened he looked up automatically and everything he had been thinking dispersed.