Chapter 16

Marcus turned down the music as he pulled up Nora's driveway. They hadn't seen her much in the last two weeks and had decided a movie marathon would be a good way to spend the day before the trial tomorrow and keep their minds off most of it. He had made sure to ask Severine several times if he was sure he was feeling up to it before telling Nora they would come. She had told them to dress comfy and not to worry about the snacks.

Severine sent her a text that they were in the driveway and got a quick response to just come in. When they walked in they couldn't help but laugh. The table was loaded with snacks: sour gummy worms, fruit snacks, chocolate, chips and dip, drinks. He glanced at Severine to see if he was excited about the snacks. He hadn't been eating much and a small part of him had hoped he'd go for junk food but his expression was unreadable. Nora waved at them from the end of the couch closest to the chair, he noticed Zandra in it for the first time.

"What the hell!" he exclaimed.

There was a cut on Zandra's forehead, a bruise on her shoulder, and her foot was wrapped and propped up. She shook her head indicating she didn't want to talk about it but he wasn't going to let it go.

"What happened?" he demanded.

"Marcus...," Nora started.

"No," he snapped, "I want to know what happened."

Nora looked at Severine with a pleading stare. Severine gave her a small shake of his head. She looked to Zandra next with a worried glance. Sighing Zandra pushed herself up straighter in the chair and winced.

"Fine Evanora I will tell him. Will you guys go to the kitchen so we can talk? I would go myself but as you know I'm not moving the best. He can tell Severine about the conversation later if he wants."

Nora nodded, standing from the couch she grabbed Severine's hand and waited for Marcus to nod his consent before leading him to the kitchen. He took up Nora's place on the couch.

"What happened?" Marcus demanded again.

"I got into a fight. I'm a villain, it's not that uncommon," Zandra responded.

"Cut the bullshit Zandra, I have enough other things going on without having to wade through it to get to you."

"Then why do you want to know what happened," she responded.

She was goading him and he knew she was but his patience was running thin. He could practically feel a growl in the back of his throat but tried to keep his composure.

"Zandra."

"Fine! I resigned from the agency as a villain and as you know, in most cases except yours, to do that you have to have a final fight. That's where the injuries are from. I had been throwing my fights ever since Caspian was killed anyway but you didn't see the injuries because they weren't as severe. Are you happy now?" she finished.

He sat dumbfounded for a moment, "So you aren't part of the agency anymore? Will this do anything to the trial?"

"It won't do anything to the trial. I confirmed that with Jana before resigning. I am still part of the agency, I decided to be a trainer for the 18 year old age group," she answered.

He knew she had been teaching Nora some self defense but hadn't imagined she would ever quit being a villain. He thought briefly of what their parents would do or say then pushed it away he had other things to worry about right now.

"What are your injuries?"

"The cut, some bruises, my ankle is sprained, and my ribs are cracked. You don't have to look worried. Evanora dressed them the night it happened" she said.