一 The Beginning

~1~

The heart wrenching shrieks of terror and pain were like a wake up call for whatever daze I was in.

Wandering around aimlessly on a poorly shingled roof, my head shot up to find the source of the victim.

However, it was like a knife had torn into my gut when I spotted my best friend's arm dangling loosely out of a titan's mouth, the rest of her body being brought closer and closer to its demise.

Since I was nearby, I leapt into action without a second thought. I had to save Atlas, even if it meant getting myself killed. After all, the only reason I joined the Survey Corps was because of her. I owed her my life, and I'd hand it over in exchange for hers with no hesitation.

Just as I was near reaching her, arm outstretched while gripping my blade tightly to slice at the titan's nape, a large hand wrapped itself around me, squeezing my torso until it felt like my stomach would be forced out through my throat.

I struggled and thrashed around for what felt like an eternity, tears beginning to spill from my eyes at what seemed to be the end for the both of us. I couldn't take my wide and fearful eyes off of the sight of my best friend being devoured by a maniacally smiling titan, rotting teeth and all.

She suffered. Of that much, I was certain. The titan took its sweet time with her, starting by swallowing her arms that thrashed around wildly one by one, until there was nothing but her dark crimson blood painting the landscape. At this point, I was struggling out of my own titan's grip with more strength than I've ever called upon in my entire life. An endless stream of tears blurred my vision so that I couldn't see the rest of Atlas' end, but I heard it. Every traumatizing second.

I heard the screams. The agony that I was in couldn't be compared to the pain she was guaranteed to be facing. Her anguished cries rang loudly through the area and in my ears, and I wouldn't be surprised if they heard it all the way from Wall Sina. Unfortunately, they didn't, because no one seemed to be coming to our aid.

I cried with her, our broken voices synchronized in a painful song of death and ruin. Until, there was only my own. I couldn't hear her anymore.

The worst part is that I was relieved when I couldn't hear her anymore. I couldn't bear the pain of witnessing my best friend's death any longer, and I can never forgive myself for that selfishness.

Realizing the predicament that I was in myself, I noticed that I was eerily close to getting tossed into my own titan's mouth. I braced myself for imminent death with my eyes tightly shut. In fact, I welcomed it. As long as I could find Atlas, my other part, wherever I would go next, it would be okay.

However, that dream was crushed when blood sprayed all over my face, and the grimy hand released me to tumble to the rocky ground. I got the wind knocked out of me, but recovered in time to see a certain captain swinging away from where he violently sliced the back of the titan's neck.

I could tell that he didn't notice me quickly approaching death, and that his timing was really just a major coincidence.

Although from the colder expression on his face, and downcast gaze towards Atlas' remains, I could tell that he was a witness of her demise. But he just couldn't make it in time.

Even now, I feel selfish for wanting to die with her. I know Atlas would be disappointed in me if I gave up so soon. She'd want me to keep going, and keep fighting for her sake.