二十七 Escape in the Night

~27~

Levi's POV

As much as I didn't believe it at first, the cold, hard evidence was too apparent to ignore.

After following through with the plan that Kaira and I had orchestrated to figure out whether or not the Johanna girl was really guilty, I decided to look further into her files. I spent nearly the entire night digging for any information I could get my hands on, until I found just the thing to give us the go ahead to take her into custody.

It was deep, but I managed to find her family records. Very few things could be tied back to her, which I found oddly suspicious, until I glanced at the names of her birth parents.

Elias and Cynthia Wagner.

I couldn't believe my eyes at first, but soon blinked away the shock of how easy it was before rounding up a few authority figures to take her in the night. These figures consist of squad leaders Dirk, Marlene, Klaus, and Four Eyes, as we march through the barracks and towards our intended destination.

We all stop in front of her room as discreetly as possible, until I nod at Hange to kick the door open. She does so eagerly, launching her foot out with a pent up force that causes the door to fall back with a gust.

We immediately invade the room, blades at the ready, and eyes wide to spot the suspect in the darkness. I move to the bed first, ripping the sheets off to reveal a cold and empty cot. I feel the permanent lines between my eyebrows gradually crease further in frustration, glancing around the room aggressively to see if the others have spotted Johanna.

They all shake their heads in annoyance, except for Dirk, who holds a small slip of paper in his hands from the bedside table.

"What is that?" Four Eyes questions in anticipation, traversing the room to get a good look.

"I don't know," Dirk answers honestly, holding the slip up.

Most of the superiors in the room gaze at it curiously, while Hange and I go wide eyed.

I rip the sheet from Dirk's hand hastily. "Give me that."

As I search every detail of its content, I do my best to process in my head how she really must've been right about everything. Kaira really does possess the mind of an out of the box thinker, and the eyes of someone who is willing to see beyond what's in front of them.

Holding up the paper so that the light of the moon through the window shines on it with glistening luminescence, I confirm her beliefs.

The obvious image of a hog on the note, identical to that of the one on the payroll, was clearly left as a snarky message for us before the girl escaped. She must've been wary of us today.

All I know is, those pigs are going to taste my wrath.

——

Although I can't see myself, it's evident that there is a permanent scowl etched on my face.

After discovering that Johanna had left HQ in the night, the superiors that went to take her away had an early morning meeting, obviously including myself. We collectively decided to keep it a secret from the rest of the scouts, besides Kaira, who was the one who brought it to our attention in the first place.

Unfortunately, I still have so many unanswered questions. Ones that I planned to ask in front of the traitor while she's tied up in a torture chamber. Preferably missing a few teeth.

Now, the only nearby source of answers lies within the one who was able to pinpoint all of the information thus far: Kaira Schneider.

She's still obligated to clean my office whenever I please, so after a long morning of scrambling for clues as to where Elias and his pathetic excuse for a daughter could be hiding, I decide to summon her for a last minute tidying.