三十六 One Small Detour pt. 二

~36~

Levi's POV

The walk—or should I say drag—to wherever I'm going feels like an eternity.

I vaguely remember the fool marching in front of me mentioning a meeting with Nile Dok, however the open wound in my abdomen did distract me a bit down in the cellar.

As well as the girl on the other side of the stone wall.

I never would have admitted this a couple of months ago, but the moment we shared in the forest was . . . electrifying. My heart was thumping at an unbelievable rate, and my blood was pulsing with an emotion that I've never experienced before. So why did I act the way I did when she woke up?

You know why.

I've cared about people in the past, and no matter how strong I've become, or how dedicated I am to protecting them, I've lost every single one. It's clear to me that I care about Kaira in a way different than anyone else, which would make losing her that much worse.

I can't predict the future, but chances are we won't make it out of this place alive. The very thought of these people killing Kaira causes my blood to boil. I instinctively glare at the two MP's dragging me through the halls.

Besides how she makes me feel, she has also changed the way that I act, and influenced my choices. This was most evident when the Military Police found us. As soon as I saw that she had been hit by one of the tranquilizer darts, I dropped my weapon.

I . . . surrendered.

I almost couldn't believe it when I did. However, I knew that if I escaped and left her to the wolves, her life would come to an end. I had no hope of rescuing her from their numbers, and no hope of continuing without her by my side.

So why am I here? What's my plan at this point?

Such questions bombard my mind all at once, but are never answered as my dragged body comes to a stop in front of a door. The man in front of me—that I despise with every fiber of my being—opens the door, gesturing for the two subordinates to toss me into the room.

My shoulder makes contact with the floor first, summoning a loud grunt from my lips. Soon enough, though, I'm grabbed once again and placed into a wooden chair. I'm not surprised at all when I look straight ahead and spot none other than Nile Dok.

I've never particularly liked the man. Any dislike I held has now escalated exponentially due to the situation I am currently in.

"Captain Levi," he greets hesitantly, causing me to narrow my eyes.

"Dok."

He blinks warily a couple of times, before glancing at the MP's behind me. "Go ahead and wait outside. I can handle this myself."

I don't bother looking back, only hearing the sound of footsteps and a door shutting behind me.

"I—"

"You do realize that Erwin is dead, correct?" I interrupt sharply.

He inhales shakily. "I do. And it is because the Survey Corps has continued its reckless path under his lead and been found guilty of treasonous actions. You all brought this on yourselves."

"Is that so?" I arch my brow. "Do you really believe that? Do you believe that your passionate, freedom-hungry childhood friend is capable of such a thing? In that case, why am I here and not talking to the people who really want me dead?"

When Dok looks to the side momentarily, I know that I've got him. "I suppose I hold some skepticism about the whole thing. None of my superiors know that you and the cadet you are with are here."