三十九 Is It Enough?

~39~

"That's a lot to take in," Hange mutters, clearly deep in thought.

After we returned, Mikasa and Eren joined us in the tent to hear about our little adventure.

We enlightened them on everything that we found out regarding Naidle, as well as Dok's thoughts concerning the Survey Corps' innocence.

"Do you think any of that will help us plan our next move?" I question after a moment of silence.

Hange glances up at me thoughtfully. "I'm not so sure. At this point, we may have to wait for Elias to come for us. Maybe we could have some sort of advantage if we're prepared for their advances." She pauses, narrowing her eyes at Levi and I. "What in the gajeebies happened to you two?!"

Gajeebies?

All of a sudden, she kneels in front of me, closely inspecting my leg.

"This is infected!" She exclaims distraughtly.

She wastes no time in rushing to Levi, tugging at the torn hole at his stomach which was ripped in the process of receiving his wound. "We need to take a look at the two of you, ASAP."

In a matter of seconds, Hange and the others are shoving us off into yet another tent, but this one is instead filled with all sorts of medical supplies and a couple of dirty futons. Most likely more things that they raided from HQ.

"Sit down," Hange insists. "I can't believe you did all of that in such a condition!"

"We didn't exactly have a choice," Levi grunts.

I nod in agreement. "We'd be dead if we took it easy. After all, we have your amazing medical skills to take care of us now."

Hange glares at me menacingly. "I won't allow that sweet talk to keep me from getting angry, Kaira."

"It was worth a try."

As Hange continues to grumble about how we endangered our lives and now she has to tend to us, she digs through the supply-filled chests to find something that can help. I faintly recognize some of the tools she's tossing about, recalling a few of them from the books I read in my father's study. However, I'm not very well-learned in medicine, so I can only hope that Hange won't inconspicuously kill us in the process.

When she finds what she was looking for, she first grabs a rag drenched in water and attempts to clean out our wounds. Once that's done, she then unscrews the cap from an old glass bottle of whatever substance she found. It seems to contain some sort of ointment, which she proceeds to rub on my injury after rolling up my pant leg.

"This is bacitracin. It's meant to help prevent infections of small wounds, but these clearly aren't so minor," Hange explains. "However, that's all that I can find. We'll just have to hope your injuries don't prove to be fatal. Levi, remove your shirt so I can apply it."

He silently complies, unbuttoning his shirt from top to bottom. In such a serious situation, I find it difficult to keep my eyes from wandering too much as soon as it's off his body. On very rare occasions when we were in The Underground, I was able to catch glimpses of his shirtless form, but it was never a sight such as this.

Even wounded, his torso is built to complete perfection, providing a beautiful balance of leanness and muscle. Not wanting to embarrass myself even further than my gaping mouth already has, I force my eyes to the ground. There's got to be some interesting insect crawling by my feet somewhere.

Once Hange finishes applying the medicine, she stands to her feet and sets the ointment back in the chest. "Don't roll down your pant leg or put your shirt back on for at least half an hour. The medicine needs to settle and dry, and your dirty clothes will only irritate it further."