四十二 The Final Battle

~42~

"This is it," Hange breaths out beside me.

"The final battle," I say, repeating Levi's earlier words.

The fate of so many lives depend on these next hours. These next gunshots, sword slashes and decisions.

The lives of those I love.

The members of Naidle start to spread out into the air on their gear, flying frantically like a swarm of bees whose nest has been disturbed.

And we just missed our chance to kill their queen.

With the rest of the city awake, the Garrison members on regular duty can be seen running around frantically in confusion. Some of them seem to be picking up on the fact that this is somewhat of a showdown between the military branches, as I notice a few joining the fight.

However, it's split. Some of the Garrison are attacking those who flew out of the whole without question, and others are searching the shadows for any hidden Scouts.

It's just as they said when Levi and I joined back up with the others near HQ. The civilians joining our ranks said that the Garrison had split beliefs.

"We need to get out there," I say to Hange, and she seems to agree with me as we both launch out into the open.

I lunge for the nearest Naidle fool, tackling him to the ground before he can get any further on his ODM gear.

We both land with a grunt, but his voice is soon cut off when I slice his neck quickly and easily.

I continue at this pace, using my rage to power my movements and slowly cut away at their ranks' numbers.

It's not until I hear a strikingly familiar voice that my fiery eyes lose their focus. Whirling around, I notice in the darkness of an empty alley two hushed voices arguing violently.

Not hush enough, apparently.

I quietly make my way over to the edge of the building, peering around the corner to see what's going on. It takes all of me not to just charge in, but I need to be careful of what I'm getting myself into here.

"All this time?" I pick up from one of the voices. "You've been a traitor?"

"We're the traitors, Rod. We've been confining the Eldian people to these walls," the other, more familiar voice responds desperately.

I can't quite pinpoint where I know it from, so I narrow my eyes to be able to discern his features.

"There won't be anymore Eldians if we do leave," the first man, Rod, says angrily. "If you can't see that, then you'll just have to be terminated."

It's then that the moon's light shifts. It's glowing white light focuses right on their faces, causing my eyes to widen when I recognize the man I haven't seen in years.

Otto Reiss.

Rod raises his handgun slowly in the shadows, and I take it as my cue to take action.

I aim my own gun at his hand, accurately shooting his weapon out of his grip. He cries out when the bullet grazes his hand.

Wimp.

"I wouldn't move if I were you," I warn him, stepping out of the shadows with my gun aimed at his head now.

He raises his hands in the air with an annoyed look in his eye, staring at me with anything but positive thoughts. "You must be one of the Scouts."

Without saying anything, I make sure not to take my eyes off the plump man, although I can see Otto staring curiously at me in the corner of my eye.