三 The Letter

~3~

In order to make up for sleeping on the job when I was supposed to be cleaning, I scrub the glass windows until they're cleaner than I've ever cleaned anything.

I wipe my finger across the clear surface, satisfied when I don't see anything remotely dirty on my fingertip.

The sound of people talking causes me to glance over my shoulder, and I spot a group of Cadets walking past the room I'm in, and moving quickly towards the mess hall.

Most of the others are already done with their tasks, although I haven't seen Mikasa around since...that. She's probably still sleeping after Eren took her to her room. I wonder how she's doing.

Once I've finally finished cleaning the last window to perfection, I grab the supplies I used and head toward the supply closet to drop them off before dinner.

I don't expect tonight's mealtime to be nearly as eventful as it was earlier, so I'll definitely be able to have some more peace and quiet. Something I've learned to cherish over the years.

However, I can't help but feel a little saddened at the idea of eating alone. As unfamiliar as this morning was, I had fun talking with new people.

Right when I start to wish that Eren and his friends would sit with me again, I feel a rush of air whisk my hair as someone takes a seat in the chair beside me. Glancing over in surprise, I see Mikasa begin to nonchalantly eat her soup.

All I can do is just stare in shock, wondering why in the world she would sit next to me rather than her other friends. Does she feel like she owes me something from earlier? Because if so, that's worse than sitting alone. I don't want someone to hangout with me just because they feel they don't have a choice.

After a few moments of me staring at her with my jaw almost dropping to the floor, she sends me a nod of acknowledgement, and immediately looks down again to continue slurping at her soup.

"Kaira, right?" On the other side of me, Jean takes a seat and I swear I almost fall out of my chair.

"Yeah."

"Hey, Kaira," Sasha and Connie say simultaneously from across the table, and Armin greets me with a timid wave.

Beneath the table, my fingers fidget out of nervous habit, clearly surprised that they're all back at the table with me. I assume they all just sat here because of Mikasa, and start eating my own soup with a warm blush creeping up my neck.

Eren soon joins us on the other side of Mikasa, and not long after Connie is cracking jokes that I myself can't help but laugh at.

My tense mood starts to lighten a ton, and I feel as if a weight is being lifted off of my shoulders.

"I heard that Commander Erwin is planning another mission out to Wall Maria," Connie states, beginning a new topic of discussion with a more serious tone.

"Already?" Jean sighs. "People are still mourning the lost from yesterday. There's no way we can all go on like this."

"As members of the scouts, we don't have time to mourn," Mikasa says solemnly, gaining the attention of everyone in the group. All of our heads whip to the side, waiting for her to elaborate.

Eren suddenly nods his head in agreement. "Mikasa's right. The longer we take to make a move on the titans, the more mourning we'll have to face."

Although I know they're not talking to me, because they obviously don't know about Atlas, it feels like their words are meant for me.