三十 Letting Loose

~30~

The cabin we're staying at is a bit . . . smaller than expected.

The exterior is deceiving, making it seem large, but once inside, you realize the walls are just thickened for protection measures. It is handy, I suppose. Thankfully, the entirety of the Survey Corps will not be staying in one cabin, and we'll be split up into different cabins throughout the forest.

At this one, it will hold Squads Hange, Levi, and Klaus. Even still, it's going to be cramped. As soon as we walked in, Levi took one look at the place and grimaced. It's clearly not to his liking. He claimed we would need to spend the remainder of the day clearing out unnecessary garbage and filth in order to make room for more space.

I don't have too many complaints about cleaning, considering the blisters given by the rag I'm scrubbing away harshly with that allow for a distraction. The revelation I came across during the ride here has really been nagging at me, and I wish for nothing but these problems to be resolved.

"I'm pretty sure it's clean by now," Eren remarks at my aggressive floor cleaning process.

I blink at the suds covering the surface beneath me, and turn to rinse my rag in a nearby bucket of water. "Right."

From across the room, Connie speaks up as well. "You seem to have a lot on your mind, Kaira. Did something happen?"

I shake my head wearily. "Just the usual stress of what's going on. Sorry if I'm spacing out."

No one responds as I go back to scrubbing, but this time in a different spot. I continue this process of scrubbing, rinsing, and scrubbing again until the whole room is clean, with the help of the others. By the time we're finished, the boys are already planning what to do next.

"We should go outside without the Captain knowing to play a game," Connie conspires wickedly.

Jean rolls his eyes at his antics. "You're such a child. I'm in."

The two of them, accompanied by a worried Eren, run outside. However, Mikasa hangs back, staring at me with an unreadable expression.

"You coming?" She questions monotonously.

I shake my head hesitantly. "Not this time. I might join you guys later."

"Alright," she responds skeptically, but follows the others outside nonetheless.

With a tired sigh, I go to grab the cleaning supplies that they left on the ground, and place them in one of the empty buckets. They're a funny bunch, but definitely not a clean one. No wonder Levi steers clear of them. I can't help but smile humorously at the thought.

Speaking of, I wonder where the meticulous captain could be. I haven't seen him since he assigned cleaning duties to everyone, but I'm sure he can't be too far. He's very thorough when it comes to supervision. I haven't heard any intense threatening, so I believe that he's probably outside. I move toward the window, glancing through the now clean glass to see that it's nearly sundown. This isn't the only observation I make, and I focus my eyes closely when I spot Levi twisting his blades expertly in his hands. Mikasa and the others are nowhere to be found, so I figure that they went out on the other side of the building.

Feeling quite bored myself, I decide to make an entrance. There's an extra door from the room I'm in leading to the outside, so I take the rusty knob in my hand and twist. The sound of the creaky door alerts Levi of my presence, and he stops spinning his blades when he looks up.

"Schneider," he greets with a low voice, to which I nod my head in response.

"I must say," I begin, crossing my arms over my chest as I lean back against the hard wall behind me. "I'm surprised not to see you inspecting anyone's cleaning jobs."