四 Strategy

~4~

Training is going to take some getting used to, that's for sure.

Without Atlas as a partner, I stand alone in the center of the training grounds as everyone else pairs up together for one on one combat practice.

I made a promise to myself. That I would be strong. If I can go out and face human eating titans, then I can surely talk someone into partnering with me for one exercise.

Looking around for anyone who might also be searching for a partner, I suddenly feel a tap on my shoulder.

"Want to partner up?" Mikasa asks.

My eyes go wide. "With me?"

"Who else?"

"Uh, sure," I answer, and we silently walk to a space set up for sparring.

Maybe she really is being genuine with me. Could it be that she just wants to be friends with me? It would be nice, since I really do enjoy her company. Hers, and the others'.

The both of us assume a fighting formation, and begin circling each other at a slow and stealthy pace.

"I thought you normally partner up with Eren," I comment, unable to hold back my curiosity.

She only shrugs in response. "Armin wanted some help with his skills, and Eren offered."

I nod. "That's nice of him. But...why me instead? Doesn't Jean need a partner?"

It's hard for me to hide the jealousy in my voice. It's always been painfully obvious that Jean is in love with Mikasa, ever since the lovely time we spent at training camp.

I like to think that I hide my sad little crush pretty well, but as time goes on, it's getting harder and harder to keep it a secret.

Mikasa shrugs again. "He can find someone else. Besides, you helped me out yesterday. We're friends now."

So she really does consider us to be friends? I can't help but feel skeptical about it all. Is she saying that she's only friends with me because she owes me for something?

"You know, you don't owe me your friendship or anything because of that. You helped me out at dinner last and made me feel included. We're even."

She finally takes a weak jab at my stomach with lightning speed, which I barely manage to dodge. It's clear she's distracted by something at the moment, though. She's not on her game.

"I'm not partnering with you because I owe you something, Kaira," she says, sounding sort of annoyed. "Friends help each other out. They don't owe each other anything."

Her words touch my heart more than she could ever know. The doubt that I hold within me at all times is extremely irritating, and something I sincerely wish to disappear.

A doubt that anyone would actually willingly befriend me with more than an intention to use me. I guess that doubt is the reason why I'm not close to many.

I can't help the small smile that tugs at my lips, one full of hope for the future that I just might be able to build for myself without Atlas.

"You two," we both gasp in surprise and turn to see Captain Levi staring deep into our souls. "Why is there so much talking here and not enough beating each other up? I wouldn't mind doing it myself, you know."

I realize all of a sudden that we haven't even fought yet, we've just been circling each other like a couple of weirdos.

He takes a couple of steps forward, looking me dead in the eyes with his icy ones. "Don't you two expect any special treatment from yesterday, understood?"