十八 A Softer Side

~18~

My brows furrow together in frustration, with my eyes beneath them focused intently on the small smudge staining the floor.

No matter how much pressure I put on the rag, it won't get clean. I've been scrubbing this one spot on the floor for at least five minutes now.

My red fingers stop trying as soon as I hear an aggravated sigh from close behind, and I turn to see Levi kneeling beside me.

"This is why I insist on everyone having special training," he mutters, taking the rag from my hands.

At the brush of our fingers and shoulders that are side by side, a blush rises to my cheeks. One that is in no way caused by him, but by our proximity.

With just as much focus as I had poured out, he forcefully scrubs at the stain until it's nothing but a grotesque memory. I internally applaud the performance.

This is only my second time coming in to help Levi with cleaning his office, and for today's assignment, he's asked me to clean the floors and dust the shelves.

Clearly, my skills are not up to par.

After handing the dirtied rag back to me, Levi goes back to his desk to look over some paperwork. He's been noticeably busy, probably preparing for the mission that we will be leaving for tomorrow.

The last week has consisted of meetings to go over the plan, and training made specifically for possible encounters we might come across.

Most soldiers will be using ODM to move throughout the streets of Stohess, and remain hidden in case backup is needed. We can't have a whole army storming the warehouse that we're infiltrating, it'll gain too much attention.

A select few have been chosen to accompany the ground squad, which will be going in undercover to investigate.

I've been assigned to this group, unlike the rest of the members in my original squad. When I questioned Hange about it, she told me that it was suggested by Levi in one of the formation meetings.

I want to ask him why he would suggest such a thing, but am afraid to ask. He looks more upset than usual.

Silence continues to press on for about another hour, one filled with occasional sounds of flipping paper and the squeak of my dirtied rag against a wooden surface. The glint of the sun through the window is beginning to burn my eyes as it sets towards the horizon, and I have to squint to see clearly.

"Could I close those curtains?" I finally say, grabbing Levi's attention from his desk.

His annoyed gaze flits up to meet mine. "No. Why?"

It's then that I notice his back is facing the window, so the brightness of the sun must not bother him as much. "It's bright. I can't see what I'm doing."

He shrugs nonchalantly. "The sun will set soon. Deal with it."
I roll my eyes in secrecy. Well, okay then. In order to solve the problem, I settle for turning my back to the window as well, so that I'm facing my shadow. I can't see the sun, as well as Levi, whose shadow is also frozen in the position it was in previously. His head is upright instead of down, facing my crouched form. It doesn't move, and I notice that the sound of rustling papers has stopped briefly.

I try to shake it off, and continue my work. But, that irritating feeling of his eyes drilling holes into my back keeps me from doing what I must. Finally, I decide that I've had enough.

I whip my head back quickly, hoping to catch him in the act without providing any warning. He doesn't look away, though. His steely gaze is hard to hold, so I clear my throat and look away.