九 Follow the Leader

~9~

Countless more times Levi has caught up to me and ruthlessly tackled me to the rocky ground.

Fortunately, I've been able to add time to my record each attempt. I know now that I'm progressing.

Unless Levi's just bored.

By the umpteenth try, the sun is beginning to set behind the tips of the trees. My stomach is growling relentlessly, and my throat is drier than it's ever been.

Although he hides it well, Captain Levi seems to be feeling the effects of fatigue as well. We're both extremely tired.

"I must say, I'm impressed by your progression today," he comments, checking the gas of his ODM gear.

"Thank you," I reply with wide eyes. I have yet to receive a compliment from him without being surprised.

He sighs, looking up at me from his gear. "That being said, it's time we head back. You'll have to survive the expedition tomorrow in order to succeed in escaping me when we get back."

Joyous. All of a sudden I find myself tempted to die tomorrow.

Kidding.

I don't say anything as he begins walking in the direction of HQ, away from the rays of the setting sun displayed across the folds of the back of his shirt.

I trail behind him, looking down at the ground and filling his footprints in the dirt with my own boots.

The red sunlight glistens against each individual blade of grass beneath us, and it's then that I realize that there are many other places all over our apparently vast world that would make my eyes go wide and put a stop to my never ending stream of thoughts.

I've once overheard Armin talking to Eren and Mikasa about things he's read of beyond the walls, things like oceans, deserts, and all sorts of other strange terms that I can't quite remember.

We're stuck here. It's evident. While it seems like what's left of mankind is safe surrounded by the towering walls, we're in more danger than we can comprehend. The invasion of titans through Shiganshina, then Wall Maria is proof enough.

But what if we were to venture outside? I envy the Survey Corps of the past. Exploring past this trap to see what lies in titan territory other than death.

What would the view of the setting sun be like outside?

"Captain Levi?" I address quietly, and clear my throat so that I can articulate.

He turns his head slightly to the side, showing me that he's listening.

"What was it like outside? Before Wall Maria was taken?"

A question I've been wondering for so long. I know he was in the Scout Regiment before the wall fell. A few years before Atlas and I joined, but enough time for many things to change. Too many things.

Levi is quiet for so long that I nearly forget I asked the question at all by the time he answers. "It's hard to say. Most of the time you're too focused on surviving long enough to look at anything past the nearest titan."

I bow my head solemnly. "Of course."

"Why did you do it?"

I'm caught off guard by his abrupt question that is reinforced by a sudden anger that I haven't experienced in a long while. "I'm sorry?"

"Why did you even join the Scouts?" He clarifies firmly. He only mutters the next part. "You and Atlas were always such idiots."

I can't help but bristle at his offensive tone. He may be my superior, but he has no right to question my motives.