History

I saw you recently and for just a second of a moment, my mind replayed our history, our history that for so long I had packed away in the attic of my mind. I can’t help but think if we shared the same thought, my subconscious tells me it was just an accidental pass in our separate lives, but my heart hopes for more.

That moment when my eyes met yours I was flooded with the memories of us, and though I know some weren’t as good as others, I cling to the ones that made my heart jump.

From where you stand I wonder where in my life, I look, I hope happy because from here, that’s all I see on your face. And I’m truly happy for you, but there’s always that part of me that’s selfish, and I hope you couldn’t see it, even though I know you’d be kind.

And that’s the thing with the memories of us, when we’re alone I continued to feel like your heart beat in unison with mine. But surrounded by people you could make me feel like the smallest person in the room, and for some unknown reason to me, I still kept coming around.

But what I have learnt is that history is history, and though it is still ours id like to think we’ve grown, so in that moment, when you asked how I was, my mind went to a place where we could be friends but a second later my heart longed for just that little bit more, and I blame the memories of us.

So as you walked out of our passing moment, my head knew you were just being thoughtful, but my heart, my heart restarted all over again.