Chapter 26

"Remember, not a word to anyone," Gerd's mom was lecturing her dad, who was putting on clothes to head to his boat. It was early and Gerd was still in bed, or back in bed, but she hadn't been able to sleep since Hiccup and the others had left. For the first time in a while there was hope, but...

She was afraid of what she had gotten herself involved with, but she was going to do it anyway. The real reason she hadn't gotten sleep was because she was mentally reviewing everyone that she knew in the village trying to make a list of people she could trust to contact about their... Rebellion was the first word that came to mind.

"Gerd," her mom broke her out of her thoughts, "stop planning for what we are going to do and go to sleep. I will not let you go out before you get more sleep. Your father needs to get up this early, you don't."

"I don't know if I can sleep either way. Even if everything goes right people are going to get hurt."

"Yes. People will get hurt. This may well end up in a war, but not today. Go to sleep." She came to Gerd's bedside and gently pulled up her blanket.

Gerd managed to fall asleep eventually, but it was hardly enough when the morning really came. She considered slamming her head in a bucket of water but ended up only splashing some on her face before getting breakfast. She had taken a single spoon of her porridge when her mother sat on the opposite side of the table with her serious face on.

"Now," she said, "we can talk about who in this place we can trust that have the guts to stand up to the Hunters. Regulars from Hiccup's dragon classes are the obvious starting point, but you spent a lot of time with him and Fishlegs. Can you think of anyone else we should consider?"

"The old blacksmith Torbjorn. If he could accept a Night Fury living under his roof... He won't be a friend of the Hunters, and he has a stockpile of weapons that no one would be suspicious about. Then there is the tavernkeeper that allowed us to dine there with Toothless and Sharpshot. I don't know him well enough to say anything for sure yet, but he let dragons in the tavern even if it was just a favour to Ivar. That still counts for something."

"We shouldn't approach him too directly, but I might get tired of cooking one of these days," mom said and winked. "There is also one other thing. We need to think who of those willing to help can fight. Fjoll isn't like some villages in the dragon attack region where everyone is a warrior."

"Lots of people have still been at the trainings like Hiccup. Hopefully some of his dragon class did too. I have to ask and hope for the best."

"So where do you think we should start?" Her mother asked.

"Hm... I think the easiest way would be to talk with the old blacksmith. He'll probably know more people that were friendly with Hiccup and Fishlegs."

"Then that is where you should start. Your father could use some new nails for ship repair anyway. I'll test my customers at the market and see what I can pry out of them. Come see me after you talk with mister Torbjorn."

"Okay."

With a soft smile she reached over the table to hold Gerd's shoulder for a moment and the smile was infectious as Gerd's lips twitched up.

"Be careful with everything, especially from now on," she said and got up. She started dressing up while Gerd finished her breakfast. She gave Gerd some money for the nails and left first, so Gerd had time alone wondering again what she had gotten herself into. At least she was prepared, even more so than her mom realized. She had already talked with many people about how far they would be ready to go to stand up to the Hunters and what it would take for people to act. With Ivar getting help they finally might take action.